Fishy smell occasionally when heater running.

MrEviLDeD

I have looked around online and most inroads seem to indicate that I have an antifreeze leak someplace. Now, notwithstanding, someone could have put a fish in there someplace ;) With my poor sense of humor behind us for now, what would be the best places to look for this issue? Would this be a heater core problem?

There was a couple of Nissan posts I discarded that suggested it might be transmission smell..

Even my wife when I asked her suggested that it smelt like anti-freeze. For me I remember it smelling more sweet that fishy. <shrug>

Appreciate any suggestions on where to start to root this one out.

-Matthew

Have you checked inside the heater airbox yet? Who knows what could have fallen down the hood louvers. A few threads on cleaning it out, you may be surprised on what you find, and possibly prevent a cabin fire. It is behind the glove compartment.

• Like 1

I will make sure to check here first. In fact I will do that this afternoon (thank you.)

Is it easy to clean out? I have not looked for it in the Service manual yet. Do I have to remove anything other than the glovebox to access the airbox? Will I need to remove the airbox as well. I went looking on the net for some threads (as well as here) as you suggested however I am looking for the wrong thing as only the Cone and airbox in the engine compartment seem to come up in any searches.

Appreciate the response. Thank you.

Just a panel behind the glove box. I think if you search "preventing a fire" it may come up. Easy though just removethe glove box and there is a panel behind it. Remove the panel and clean out all the trash it has accumulated over the years. I sucked mine out with a shop vac after I got as much as I could out by hand...

• Like 1

Got it thanks! Seems that this might have been a great start. Following is an image of the mess that was in there.. It was almost completely full. Took an extra precaution and cleaned out the resistor block as well as it was pretty dirty.

PF1993XE_BlowerResisterBlock01.jpg

Again thanks for the heads up here. Appreciate it. Now hopefully the fishy smell is gone.

Cheers!

Well done on fixing that potential fire hazard. Now you know...you can spray some deodorant in there too so you get a nice smell coming out of the vents. Remember to check it once a year to clean out anything else that gets in there!