Rear Axle id

theexbrit

Hi all, haven't been on here for many a moon! Nice to see a lot of old familiar faces.

I was looking for a thread that had all rear axle & diff info (how to id your axle, etc), searched everywhere but can't find it. Anyone know the link?

• Like 1

"If" it is like the WD21's then the gear ratio will be on the info plate on the fender, see my post and pic in THIS thread for more info. Your rear diff, assuming the engine is a VG, should be an H233B.

But, since yours is an R50 I cannot be certain on the plate being there or containing that info. let us know if it is :aok:

• Like 1

Our plate is on the passenger firewall under the hood hinge. Mine has it on both the firewall plate and the driver's side door jamb near all the tire information, but this wasn't the case for my buddy's 02 SE.

All R50's have the H233B rear axle. Only options were HG43 at 4.363 (48:11) and HG46 at 4.636 (51:11). Other Nissan trucks/SUVs have different ratios with the same codes: HG43 at 4.375 (35:8) and HG46 at 4.625 (37:8). Early Xterras and Frontiers had HG43 and HG46 in our ratios, as well as HG49 as 4.90 (49:10). Any of the above, plus several others not listed, work in our rear axle.

Front R&Ps from any other Nissan will not work in ours, in case you're planning to swap in gears to match. Unless a vendor says specifically that the R200 gears are for, and only for an R50, will they work. Our R200 axle is unlike any other R200 axle.

Here is the 'original' thread, but isn't fully applicable to the R50, and doesn't discuss the differences in the R200s (I can explain if you'd like).

Whatcha got planned?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Our plate is on the passenger firewall under the hood hinge. Mine has it on both the firewall plate and the driver's side door jamb near all the tire information, but this wasn't the case for my buddy's 02 SE.

All R50's have the H233B rear axle. Only options were HG43 at 4.363 (48:11) and HG46 at 4.636 (51:11). Other Nissan trucks/SUVs have different ratios with the same codes: HG43 at 4.375 (35:8) and HG46 at 4.625 (37:8). Early Xterras and Frontiers had HG43 and HG46 in our ratios, as well as HG49 as 4.90 (49:10). Any of the above, plus several others not listed, work in our rear axle.

Front R&Ps from any other Nissan will not work in ours, in case you're planning to swap in gears to match. Unless a vendor says specifically that the R200 gears are for, and only for an R50, will they work. Our R200 axle is unlike any other R200 axle.

Here is the 'original' thread, but isn't fully applicable to the R50, and doesn't discuss the differences in the R200s (I can explain if you'd like).

Whatcha got planned?

Looks like I have the HG46 LSD. My rear radius arm brackets are bent (not me, but a PO) & they chew up bushings pretty fast as the bolt is off center. I was thinking of putting another axle on but would like to maybe do a disc brake conversion & I'd like to keep my LSD.

You're talking about the attachment points on the axle where the lower traction/control arms are bolted? (So many names for the same things :D).

Unfortunately, the swap you've described won't be easy. Only some older WD21 axles had disc brakes, and the main thing that prevents it from being a direct swap is the panhard bar running in the opposite direction. There'd be some major fab work required. Then, the locations/angles/distances on attachment points and spring perches might be slightly different on the WD21 axle, you'd need that axle to already have an LSD (you'd want the WD21 version anyway; much tighter), and would have to swap over your ring and pinion gears. Lotta work!

For the disc brake swap, however, you should just need the backing plate, calipers, and such, and the means to separate and press things back together. Lemay on the forum has some sets in his Quebec parts boneyard, and I've got some links about the process.

I have an axle housing for a 96-01 in my garage...it's yours if you want it. I think one of the shock brackets needs straightening, but looks a bit easier than straightening the control arm brackets (which are straight already). I should be able to hammer/bend those tabs flat(ish).

I also have an extra LSD that I'll be picking apart to see if I can improve on my LSD rebuild...will have some extra parts if you're interested in trying to improve your numbers, too. As for the logistics of all this, I've been meaning to get out to SoCal to get some wheeling in with a buddy who was out here the other weekend to overhaul his R50. We couldn't get his winch working, and ran short on time trying, so I told him I'd give that another go eventually. Perhaps we could do a garage day and then a trail day?

• Like 1

You're talking about the attachment points on the axle where the lower traction/control arms are bolted? (So many names for the same things :D).

Unfortunately, the swap you've described won't be easy. Only some older WD21 axles had disc brakes, and the main thing that prevents it from being a direct swap is the panhard bar running in the opposite direction. There'd be some major fab work required. Then, the locations/angles/distances on attachment points and spring perches might be slightly different on the WD21 axle, you'd need that axle to already have an LSD (you'd want the WD21 version anyway; much tighter), and would have to swap over your ring and pinion gears. Lotta work!

For the disc brake swap, however, you should just need the backing plate, calipers, and such, and the means to separate and press things back together. Lemay on the forum has some sets in his Quebec parts boneyard, and I've got some links about the process.

I have an axle housing for a 96-01 in my garage...it's yours if you want it. I think one of the shock brackets needs straightening, but looks a bit easier than straightening the control arm brackets (which are straight already). I should be able to hammer/bend those tabs flat(ish).

I also have an extra LSD that I'll be picking apart to see if I can improve on my LSD rebuild...will have some extra parts if you're interested in trying to improve your numbers, too. As for the logistics of all this, I've been meaning to get out to SoCal to get some wheeling in with a buddy who was out here the other weekend to overhaul his R50. We couldn't get his winch working, and ran short on time trying, so I told him I'd give that another go eventually. Perhaps we could do a garage day and then a trail day?

Thanks for the advice & the axle offer, yes it's the brackets for the lower arms bolt to the axle. I'm interested in the housing & would like to tighten my LSD. maybe we can work out a meet somewhere. Always wanted to wheel in AZ. The brackets have been like this since the day I got the car but I'd really like to straighten them, they chew the bushings up if there's too much flex............

11875184_1649045125340349_11462308453169

Yeah, that's some bend. Looks nearly an inch off...bet that took a little effort to get bolted up?

Think it's worth trying to bend it back before going through with swapping housings? Not that I wouldn't love to free up the garage space, but I wonder what progress you could make with a length of 2x4, a big bolt and some thick washers. Sounds rudimentary, but it's all about leverage.

If it's worth swapping or you want to rebuild the LSD, I'm game for whatever—wrenching, meet, wheeling, etc. Buddy in Anaheim wants to hit Joshua Tree 9/19 or 9/20. Could try for something then, maybe even something closer to SoCal if you just want to wheel. Thinking if I head out Friday afternoon, wheel Saturday, head home Sunday afternoon, that might leave some wrenching time in the mornings.

Of course, if you want to try to make it out this way, that works, too. Couple buddies have been posting up pics of recent trail runs around the state...getting a bit antsy to get out there. I need to find a local group to go with unless some other NPORA-ers come out of the cacti here. The mot recent roll-call didn't get far...