94 / craigslist / auto trans issue ...

D21disciple

a 94 has shown up on craigslist that appears decent enough to possibly warrant the trip to actually see it.

seller says "hard shifting" when in drive, shifts fine if you move the lever manually between 1, 2 and D.

in order of likelihood, what do you think is going on with this automatic. i have done an auto trans re&re on a 2wd d21 pickup which i found to be a bit of a pain ... can't imagine the re&re on 4wd being any better, so if that's likely what's called for i think i will pass on it.

your comments are appreciated.

Edited by D21disciple

Not a good sign... not to say it couldn't be a sensor issue though, maybe a bad throttle position sensor that thinks he's flooring it and shifts harder to compensate? Read up on how to run the codes for the engine and trans computers (and maybe check the AT section of the FSM for a hard shifting diagnostic) and keep in mind what a new trans would cost if that one is in fact hosed. Depending on what the guy wants for it and how much mucking around you're willing to do, it could still be a decent deal.

• Like 1

Ha...I was just looking at that one. BC is the only place that seems to have clean trucks. I would check out the frame on that one. When I blew up the pics the rear seems suspicious for frame rot. Transmission is cheap in my neck of the woods...you can find a replacement for around $300.

from what i have read on this site, and from your replies, sounds like i am far better off to spend the extra money on a unit with a fully functioning tranny.

hi, pav ... i am from vancouver . true that these trannys can be had cheaply, in fact, pickapart in chilliwack regularly has all trannys on sale for 95.00, but with all the work involved, i wouldnt even consider buying one that i couldnt test-drive first.

thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

I agree with you...there are so many amazing deals that pop up in your neck of the woods I would just be patient. Too bad you missed one last week...it was an '94 SE super clean manual with 180kms and loaded with options and was a motivated seller. The last time I saw it listed it was down to $1000...that one would have been a score.

I was just wondering if that pathfinder has a power mode button? My 95 has one under the dash by the dimmer switch that the previous owner had on and he claimed to have hard shifting in his trans but ones I flipped to off the trans shifted just fine