rear control arm bushings

oilman

My roomate just bought a 96 r50 with 125000 on it.

the rear end of the truck starts a real bad side to side sway at higher speeds, especially when you let off the gas going down hill.

I have been told this is the rear control arm bushings, and looked at them myself and they look like crap, totally worn out!

is this really the problem, or just a symptom?

anybody had a similar problem?

we are looking at poly bushings as replacements.

thanks

ok I just saw the pinned post in the garage about this.

think this is a DIY project?

I have a friend with a garage who will press out the old bushings for me. but othwer than that it should be prety easy right?

well...it is generally not considered the easiest job out there. You need a hydrolic press to get the poly's in, and they can break if its not done right. I had to call several shops before I found one that would do it, they either didn't have a the right press or didn't want to risk breaking the bushings. Getting the control arm bolts off can be a pain also, many have had to cut them off because they are so stuck on there. Good luck though :D

does anyone know a website that i can get new lower control arms for less than $100 each?? (thats what the dealership is askin)

you might not need new arms, the swaying problem is usually just the bushings, but the dealer only sells complete arms, not bushings alone.

4x4parts.com try them

This has got to be the most frustrating vehicle for suspension I have ever had to deal with... Kmgar - great site, good info thanks. It's looking like this is going to be an expensive Spring...

That looks like it was one big pain in the a$$. when i get mine replaced i dont even want to bother messing with it, so im going to have it done by a shop somewhere.

Those were my feelings exactly. I think it was worth it, for me anyways. I don't have access to the necessarry presses, etc. required for the job. :rolleyes:

Somone said something about a "fix kit" that is available to us pre 99.5's.. They were able to correct it in the newer ones with this "fix kit" so I think you shoudl be ok... Correct me if I'm wrong.

do i need any special bolts to replace the ones i cut off??

I ordered my bolts from Nissan there are 4 different bolts and 4 bolts that are the same. I had mine installed for me... not something I would want to do myself. My mechanic said he won't do the job for less than eight hours because of how hard it was to get out the old bushings. He wasn't happy that he had agreed to do my springs and bushings for 5 hours and ended up charging me for six which I paid because I know how long it took him. P...

i replaced my lower control arms and got rid of the sway! but those bolts were a pain in the hiney..the sawzall only worked for the front (4 blades).. the i did manage to break loose luckily. but im just stoked the sawy is gone!

Definitely use the exact metric replacements....standard or US sizes don't fit...too much play....I got some metric grade 8 bolts from Ababa bolt...it's a local fastener supplier open to the public here in So Cal...all 8 bolts, washers, lock washer, and nuts cost less then $40....Home Depot or other place might have them in stock....

I cut off the end of the bolt (Nut side) then drilled out the bolt inside the nut with a medium bit then moved to larger bit (slightly bigger than the inside of the nut) It took about 5 minutes per bolt...it was also a P.I.A being under the truck at wierd angle trying to get leverage on the drill.....Wait till you do the uppers!!!!! I thought the angles I had to contort myself into were bad with the lowers!!!....