tranny help needed, 94 pathy

shadowork

yesterday my auto 94 pathy began shifting in 3rd at 3k rpm, instead of the usual 2k. it's been doing that all day today.

fluid level looks ok as does the color.

anybody know what might be going on internally? is this internal clutch problems or the bands?

i don't think it's related, but my idle has gone way up over the past two weeks. might be the used AICV i installed 6 months ago. but that wouldn't affect my tranny, would it? (normal idle is 700, but after warm up it's doing 1300).

anybody have any clues?

So the shift point's higher than it used to be? First thing I'd check is if the trans is in power mode (switch on the dash). This is also engaged by the switch under the gas pedal, make sure that's not stuck or something. The throttle position also plays a part. I leave mine in power mode all the time and going from third to overdrive usually requires lifting off the gas for a moment. (I much prefer this to its default setting of going into overdrive while I'm climbing a mountain pass and then staying there until I panic and floor it.)

If your driving hasn't changed, it could be that the throttle position sensor's going out or not set up properly, which would confuse the trans computer. Doesn't sound like you've messed with that, though. If you don't find an obvious cause of the shifting change, I'd chase the idle issue, get that resolved, and see if that fixes it.

Honestly, I'd address the idle issue first, there is no telling how that would affect the tranny's functioning. I assume you have downloaded the free FSM from the pinned thread in the Garage section, so EC-24 is where you want to start to chase the idle issue, and then there is another procedure on EC-50.

B

Something I know is if the idle is high, you could have air in your radiator that needs to be bled. You can burp the radiator by parking on an incline with the front higher than the rear. Open the radiator cap When Cold, start the engine and watch for bubbles coming out the radiator. It might take around 5-10 minutes. You might even hear the rpms drop which means it's finished burping. Top off with coolant then put cap back on.