Brake Flush

CanadianPathyNut

I got a service done the other day for $300 and they told me I needed to do a transmition flush and an engine flush or some $hit, cost me $500 they called me a few hours after I left it off and told me I neededneeded to do a brake line flush, and to replace the 2 front pads, i know this can not be that hard and I know its not worth $300, is there a way I can do it myself? i have a 2002 LE and I am wondering if anyone here can tell me how to do this myself, because $500 killed my wallet but another $300 is jsut rediculous. how hard can it be?

not familiar with your model but ABS could be a bit tricky.. otherwise i'd just drain the old fluid completely out of the system and then refill with new fluid... of course you'll have to burp the system and may even have to prime the master cylinder... i don't really see more then a couple of hours of work... you may want to read up on that in shop manual and get a helper before starting... good luck man...

ive never encountered a brake problem due to dirty fluid tho.. then again i live in dry california

yeh, i try to change it before i have a problem... brakes are no joke...

my fluid in the pathy and the s10 was brown not tan/clear... dirt, maybe hose crap... i don't know but it sure was dirte....

Pads are easy - get a haynes manual it will walk you through it step by step. If I could do it on an 88 BMW a newer Pathy should be easy. Basically you loosen the caliper mounting bolts, then you will use a C-Clamp to compress the caliper, pull it off, replace the pads and put it back on. Its pretty straight forward.. as for the brake flush, i DOUBT you need that...

My father always told me never to touch the brake fluid unless there was a problem. I've trusted him on it so far and have never had any issues with the fluid. I had a master cylinder go on my old volvo and changed that out, no problem...added a little fluid, bled em, and off i went. If I can do that you surely can change your brakes. Be wary though, I've been to the dealer and they told me my brakes were down to 10% and yet I had them changed less than a year earlier, so they were really fine. Actually they lasted another year til the sensor went squeakin' on me. How many miles do you have on your truck?

My advice, unless under visual inspection of the brake fluid there is an obvious problem- leave it alone. And check your brakes before you believe they need to be replaced. Pull your tire off and look.

Follow your haynes manual or down load the service manual found in another string here on this board. They both go step by step and it's really pretty easy.

Edited by LINDERS