is my Oil leak giving me this horrible mileage? or am i dippin on these 4cyl civics too much?

valve covers and rear main seal.

Oil loss is not related to bad fuel consumption but a sign that your engine is in need of some love. find the leak and fix it before more bad things happen.

BTW what sort of milage are you getting? 4x4 SUVs are not known to be economical DDs.

• Like 2

not sure about the R50's but mine leaks from the pressure sending unit (need to replace it) and from the main engine seal (too much work for the amount that is leaking)

Best bet is to get under there with a few rags and wipe everything down. Run the truck until the engine is hot, then get back under and look for the leak. If you still can't tell, you can sling some baby powder or flour around to give a light coating, then run the truck until you can see where the oil is coming from.

If it is oozing at night (parked), I'd guess that it is coming from the lower part of the engine where the oil pools so make sure to check the oil pan as well. As was said, there is little substitute to getting under there and wiping things down.

Oh, IIRC the VQ35 have an oil cooler that is prone to leaking as well...

I'm moving this thread to the R50 section.

B

Thank You everone for your replies, @bushnut not quite sure but i notice how fast it burns. pumping least expensive chevron with tech right now what do you reccomend ?? also what kind of oil??

switched to the pathy from a 00 jeep cherokee ,i would say i had better mileage on the jeep but this v6 had some balls OD

A bad enough valve cover gasket leak can actually cause unmetered air to be sucked in through the PCV system causing the O2 sensors to read lean therefore causing the engine to run rich... as in poorer fuel economy. Horrible mileage? No. Maybe an MPG.

Rear Main Seal, Valve Covers, Oil Pan, and Oil Cooler can all leak commonly. That's listed in "Paying For Your Mechanic's New Boat" to "Buying Your Kids Xmas Presents" order. :laugh:

• Like 1

When my valve covers were leaking it would leak while it was sitting and when it got worse it got to where it leaked while driving to the point of puking oil onto the passenger exhaust manifold. some of the bolts were hand tight or less when i changed them. Gasket was brittle and reminded me of hard plastic so it needed it.

pat

• 2 months later...