Stuttering / misfiring

CDN_S4

So I let my wife take the truck today. Half an hour later she called saying he was stranded on the side of the road.

So I got in the car and drove out to take over so she could go on to her appointment. I opened the hood and this is what I saw:

bb4ced0942dd3a7ed8a6d86f1740153d.jpg

The ignition coil with spark plug had ejected and was covered in white burn deposits.

What the hell?!?

Should this be as simple as replacing the spark plug and coil? I hope so. Could this throw off the timing with only 5 cylinders firing?

What you see in the pic is what I discovered upon opening the hood. The plug was broken in half. The other half was still stuck in it. Turns out it wasn't screwed in all the way. Dirt must have ground it down as when I torqued it my wrench indicated it was at the set torque spec. Yes I mean wire. Sorry my other cars use ignition coils.

Edited by CDN_S4

Ah that explains the odd look, picture is fuzzy (could be the screen I am using) so I was not going to question it :aok:

Well, if you have not already got the rest of the plug out,I would use compresses air followed by a vacuum to try and get as much remaining crap out from around the plug before attempting to remove. And try and keep a vacuum on it during removal (if possible) and after to help prevent as much as possible from falling into the cylinder.

If you have a long straw-like detail attachment for a shopvac that will help a lot. I have even taped a straw to a standard corner attachment in a bind before.

• 4 weeks later...

ya i was going to say throw a new plug and probably wire at it and tighten the plug down using German torque specs this time. (gudandtight) and you will probably be good to go.

lol

Pat