... and then there were Five... again.

SpecialWarr

So I think I'm back to five operating cylinders again. I had a moment after getting off of the highway just before pulling into the parking lot when things went strange. The idle was bouncing around from 1500 to 1800 and back a dozen times while on the brakes up to the corner. No drop in RPMs when I pulled into the parking lot but the motor sounded good. Then I went out to get lunch a few hours later and the idle sounded like crap and I could hear backfiring like mad.... it didn't sound like one consistent cylinder though. ( I assume that you can hear one cylinder by itself.... sounds like drum beat yes?? So a lack of one would sound like one missing somewhere, right? or am I crazy? jumping to conclusions?

May I mine the collective for some more info on how to identify a single cylinder misfire, because the YouTube videos have no sound quality that can let me hear anything other than a motor running.

Thanks people!

Hook up a timing light (or anything that fires/triggers from induction) and test all wires first, then pull them one by one. Check your cap and rotor as well, someone's rotor screw fell out recently, which caused RTA (random timing adjustment), and once when mine was stumbling at lower RPM, I noticed my dizzy cap had no center electrode to the rotor, it was just running by arcing...

B