Distributor loose. Where to start?

Wretchasketch

I am wrapping up a timing belt replacement with guidance from the wonderful step by step topics on this forum. I bumped the distributor cap and the whole distributor turned. I just bought the vehicle and there is no telling how long the bolt that holds it in place has been loose. I don't own a timing light. Any advice as to where to set the distributor until I can get to a mechanic?

I'd remove the hold down bolt and try and see if there's any markings where the washer has bit into the slotted part of the distributor and tighten it down right where it was. What year is it?

^ Good call!

No idea how much it moved? They to move it 'back', start it and see how it runs, then time it by ear at idle and then high idle, finishing with test drives (while having the wrench with you).

The ECU will adjust the timing to some degree so you don't have to be spot on, and it should run well enough to get to the mechanic's a few degrees off anyway. Just don't let it ping (pre-detonate from over advanced timing).

You can't borrow a light from anyone? Also Harbor Freight has timing lights for $20 regular price, and if they aren't on sale, I can sent you a 20% off coupon...

B

Hey, another thought...

I have a '99 in the driveway as well, and I can take a picture of the dizzy position clocked to something that should be the same from truck to truck. Not going to be perfect, but should be a good place to start or at least damn close. Let me know, I can do it first thing tomorrow...

B

for a rough timing just to get somewhere for service, start it and turn the disty back and forth until it sounds like it is running well. Wouldn't go for days like that but it'll get you to a shop or buddy's house