Speedometer lagging

tanpathy1995

I've been told that there is a voltage regulator in the back of the dash that tends to go funny after some years of service, but I would think that taking a look in the "Garage" section on here should get you to a downloadable Service Manual. You may find the answer in there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two Nissan pickups do that to me. The cause for both of them was the speedo needle had sagged and was dragging on the gauge face. When I tried to straighten them, they both broke. I fabricated new ones by trimming a piece of white plastic to the same(ish) shape and hot glueing it to the part of the needle that was left over.

^ That makes a lot of sense. You might try heating the needle before bending it to see if it'll go without snapping.

Or find something amusing to use as a needle. Miniature lightsaber?

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^ That makes a lot of sense. You might try heating the needle before bending it to see if it'll go without snapping.

Or find something amusing to use as a needle. Miniature lightsaber?

I've some light sabers left over from Star Wars action figures that I long ago lost. If I EVER need to replace an indicator needle, light saber it shall be! Just so you know, I'm going to claim your idea as mine. :)

I fixed mine by heating it up in a mug of hot (not boiling) water. Hold the needle at one end and stick the other end in the hot water for a couple of minutes. Then take the needle end and stick between a couple of popsicle sticks, wrap tight around that with lacky bands. Doesn't have to be exactly this, you could also put the needle end between a couple of big heavy books, anything that is heavy and flat basically. I left mine for a couple of days and then I found it was finally straight. If not, repeat the process. Heat it up in hot water, then put between something heavy to straighten it out. Patience is the key.

• Like 1