Changing Rotors and Brake Pads 2004 Pathfinder SE

AirChime

Hey folks, I am need of some help with the changing of the rotors on my 04 Pathfinder SE.

I have the rotors off on both wheels. They were scarred up pretty bad by the previous owner, and I was getting a grinding noise. Anyways, the rotors and pads are AZ's Duralast Gold Series. I know this may be poo-pooed but meh, its what was available.The pads look good, but the scoring is deep on the rotors, so I think the pads dont have enough to grab. I decided just changing the rotors would be bad, so I am changing both rotors and pads.

So I have both rotors off. I started to re-install them, one at a time, when I noticed that after I had the rotor on as far as it would go, the hub installed into the rotor, bearing packed with grease, wheel bearing lock nut, lock washer and screws, and I cant think of the name right now but it attaches via 6 small nuts, I dont have enough room to put that split ring back on. Anyways, I tried a few more times, but the sun was down, it is cold, and my fingers dont work well in the cold.

So I ask yall, what am I screwing up? Do I not have something lined up correctly? Did I not put something in correctly? Where did I go wrong?

Try and pull in the cv shaft from the back side so it sticks out further. It moves without the snap ring on. You have a copy of the service manual, right? Free download in the garage section.

• Like 1

When you work on the hub assembly, the CV sometimes retracts into the spindle a few mm.

I second the comment about trying to push the CV outward from behind the hub in order to give you clearance on the CV to attach the snap ring over the drive flange.

Yup. It worked just right. I never thought about that, but it makes total sense. Like I said, it was cold and my fingers ached, plus I was exhausted. I guess I wasnt thinking straight. I got everything reassembled and it works. Now there is a little smoke, but I suspect thats from greasy finger prints on the rotors.