Please Read...I Need Some Help On This One! :(

brc19761

I have a 2008 Nissan 2wd Pathfinder SE.

This is what happened. I have been posting in this forum (you can see my post) about how the service engine soon light came on and it was a code P0455 (which is an fuel evaporation leak problem). I replaced the old gas cap with a new one and the service engine soon light came back on.

Well I was searching through the net and came across a topic forum like this from the Nico fourms (which I am also a member). The topic was about how you could reset the service engine soon light on the R50 and R51 Pathfinders ecu. It gave instructions such as 1) turning the engine to start waiting three seconds 2) then depressing the accelerator five times within five seconds 3) waiting seven seconds then holding down the accelerator ten seconds until the check engine light starts blinking. There are several more steps but I left the papers out in the shop.

I preformed the steps several times b/c my timing (waiting the right amount of seconds performing each step was off). Well I finally got it until the check engine light was blinking, but I must have messed up the timing on the next steps b/c I started the truck up and the check engine soon light was still on. I kept repeating the steps and couldn't get the timing of the steps right.

I went to crank the truck up and it would not start. It sounded like the starter was just clicking. I did not know what happened so I tried to repeat the process again. While preforming step 2 where you press the accelerator 5 times I accidently hit the brake.

Now the truck will not start, the radio acts like it is trying to eject a cd and will not play, the battery light is on , and the brake light is on.

I unhooked the negative battery cable for a while. Put the cable back on and it still does the same thing. I have the battery cable unhooked and while try and put it back on late tomorrow, but I have know idea if the truck will go back to normal.

The only thing I can think of is I repeated the steps so many times trying to get the check engine soon light to reset in the ecu that I must have performed other procedures or just really messed my truck up bad.

This is my families way of going and I really messed this one up. Does anybody know how I can fix this mess. I can't even crank it to take it to the Nissan dealership. Any help whatsoever would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

brc

I feel so stupid. The problem was the battery was dead. I pushed my 08 Pathfinder out of the shop this morning and jumped it off with my 95 Pathfinder. It started right up with no warning lights showing. I drove it about ten miles to build the battery back up and got it back home killed it and it started right back up and everything is working. I have the battery on charge right now.

The electrical stuff on these newer vehicles scare me b/c there is so much off it that can go wrong. I have never had any issues with the battery before and wasn't trying to reset the ecu very long. I just knew I had messed something up. I had no idea the battery was dead.

Thanks,

brc

Glad it was an easy fix. As I read your post, all I could think was how nice it was to work on cars back in the early days before computer control and crap like that. Air, Fuel and Fire was all you needed and it didn't even have to be that close to the right timing.

• Like 2

Hey brc19761, glad you got this sorted and that it was trivial. We've probably all beat ourselves over small oddities that get the better of us.

About the procedure you tried...sounds like when you started the vehicle up after entering the self-diagnostics, you likely put it into its O2 sensor mode. (At least that's what happens on my 04; the OBDII procedure is the same it appears). The SES light will flash two indicate running rich/lean at the O2 sensor. That's probably why you couldn't get the pattern (there wasn't one).

When I do it, I use the stopwatch on my iPhone and just remember 3, 15, 25. Sync the stopwatch start with Key-ON then:

At 3s, 5 gas pedal stomps (within 5s)

At 15s, gas pedal stomp + hold

At 25s, SES light flashes.

If you don't have it already, an 08 FSM is available at Nico here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/2008_Pathfinder/ EC-53 describes the OBDII diagnostics; EC-67 explains the steps and how to read the patterns, reset the codes, or jump to different tests. Good luck!

You might want to get your battery load tested to make sure it is good if you were able to run it dead in such a short amount of time. Might save you from getting stranded. I just did a job on a diesel 350 with dual batteries had the ignition on for less than 30 min and the truck would not start.