Offroad Capability

thewiredgeek

Hi There,

I recently bought a 1999 Chilkoot Trail Edition Pathfinder as a replacement for a Jeep Cherokee Sport. I chose the Pathfinder for its great reputation for reliability and off-road prowess, but as I read 4x4 and off-road websites, I am getting the impression that I bought the "Red-head stepchild" model year series when it comes to off-road ability. So far, I have only had opportunity to test it on very easy unpaved logging roads and some deep sand and it performed beautifully on both. I also expect to encounter moderate snow (1 foot or less), and very muddy conditions in my various outdoor pursuits. Basically, I encounter lots of poor traction situations, but I rarely need to clear obstacles. Can anyone comment on how this rig handles in such conditions? I also can't seem to find much in the way of aftermarket accessories. I'd like to put air lockers in, but I can't seem to get a difinitive answer on whether or not they are available for this model.

Thanks all,

The Wired Geek

Outdoor Enthusiast/Tech Junkie

Well that depends on how "off road" you really want to get. I am an avid outdoorsman and often times to get to trail heads or remote fishing locations, or remote river access for kayaking it involves being off the beaten trail. The R50 Pathfinder is quite capable off road when equipped properly, much like any modern SUV. There is a story floating around here somewhere of a group of guys who took a Xterra and a R50 Pathfinder down the Rubicon trail.. so it can be done. I know I have gotten mine into and out of places that probably weren't in the heads of the designers of this truck, and it has performed great. All i have done is put on a slightly bigger set of tires (would like to go 1 inch bigger when they wear out..) but other than that she is stock. As for aftermarket stuff its out there, definately, check out the link in the post above this one. You just have to know where to look. Don't worry, you didnt somehow get yourself into a CRV or anything horrid like that... although I have had some muddy fun in one of those... It really comes down to driver skill, this truck can make it through alot of stuff.

I think the Pathys hold thier own with any SUV style 4x4 out there. There is less aftermarket support, true - but that has always been true with Nissan vs Jeep/Toyota. If you line up the basic qualifications/specs: such as IFS, unibody, true low transfer case, the pathy is equally capable.

I've always been impressed with the clean undercarriage of the R50s - unlike so many US designs there just aren't alot of vulnerable parts hanging low, like shock mounts and such.

4x4parts.com sells most of the known aftermarket stuff, and yes, you can put ARB lockers in it, and lift it 2+ inches and run 32 in tires if you want. Independent fabricators make steel skid plates (black panther).

Dean Thayer has run the Rubicon in his, and several other folks have pushed the pathy pretty deep. So you can feel confident that the truck is capable off road. Not invincible, but reasonably capable in factory trim.

welcome to the pathy crowd!

mike

Dean Thayer has run the Rubicon in his, and several other folks have pushed the pathy pretty deep....

Wow! I followed your site to his... that's a crazy trail... some awesome shots!!