Occasional 5 speed problems?

Hey guys, a couple quick questions....

My transmission occasionally hesitates to go into reverse. It has done this for the 4+ years I've owned the Pathfinder, so it doesn't really worry me, but I'm curious as to why it does it.

With the clutch fully depressed, sometimes I'll put the shifter into R, and it goes most of the way, but doesn't have that little clunk that indicates that it is fully in gear. It feels like it hits a block of some sort. If I try to reverse with it like this, the transmission makes a whirring noise and the vehicle goes nowhere.
It is easy to fix. All I have to do is put the shifter in neutral, and let out the clutch (this works 100% of the time). Then when I go into reverse with the clutch in, it'll engage.

Another thing is that the transmission every once and a while will grind going into 5th. I have the clutch in fully, and I don't force it or anything, it just randomly grinds once in a blue moon. It also grinds going from neutral to 1st if I do it remotely quickly. This tends to happen at a stop if the light turns green and I want to get going. Again, clutch is fully depressed when this happens.

The vehicle has nearly 270,000 km on it, on the original clutch as far as I know. The clutch seems fine, but the throwout bearing is fairly bad. Makes the occasional groaning noises.

Basically what I want to know is... Are these just quirks that the 5 speed has, or are these issues that I should potentially be worrying about. Could they be related to the throw out bearing?

I would say getting time for a new clutch. you might want to also try flushing the fluid from you clutch system. It is hydrolic. But it does sound like clutch. No issues putting it into 1st?

A quick re-pump lets you slide in easy? Have you bled the system recently? Could have a master or slave cylinder sucking a little air (I've had a couple masters fail over the years and actually had a bleeder fail in a slave once)

I'm having similar problems. Only slightly worse. Grinds in random gears at random times. I'm really hoping it's the pedal and not the actual clutch. I've rebuilt the salve and bleed thoroughly. Works for a few days and then starts going back to what it was. I'm going to replace the master next. If that doesn't do it. It's time for a new clutch and everything that goes with it. I'm at 140,000 miles so it's probably my clutch is going. But if I don't have to pull the Trans, I won't. Lol

Let me know what you find if you have fixed it.

The reverse thing is normal. It's just how transmissions work.

The syncros are spun by the input shaft and when you let out the clutch in neutral you get the syncros spinning which helps you go in to reverse.

When you start your car with the clutch pressed and try for reverse, the syncros are never started spinning so can't help you get to reverse.

As for grinding first and fifth, that would be the syncros becoming worn out. Doesn't require a trans rebuild unless that bothers you.

It is possible that a fresh change of fluid with helpful additives can 'rehab' the deficiency you are having with the syncros right now and perhaps restore it's function.

The only manual I ever had to have rebuilt (was a KA powered HB 4x4) started with 4th gear. Dude that rebuilt it had some elaborate explanation as to why 4th was the initial issue, but I was a know it all kid at the time and never listened assuming he was just trying to oversell what he did.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately I can't really do much about it for now, so I'm just going to have to live with it, but come spring (sometime in April), I'm going to look into it. And I'll let you know if I manage to solve the problems.

I've been thinking about getting the clutch and throwout bearing done for a while now. The only thing putting me off has been the cost. It's a bit too daunting for me to do it, so I'd have to get a mechanic to do it. I guess around the same time I'll also have them check the master cylinder, and associated hydraulics and whatnot.

Would replacing the clutch make the pedal any lighter? It's pretty much a leg press machine right now. The extra effort and very long travel has made my left leg bigger than my right :laugh:

I can live with 1st and 5th grinding on the odd occasion. I'm not sure a transmission rebuild is worth it given how little the vehicle is worth.

I get the rest, but why would 5th, my least used gear, wear out before 1st, 2nd, or 3rd?

-Kyle

I was wondering the same thing... I barely used 5th for the first two years of owning it.

Hey Kyle, I have the same pedal issue, just cant get it at the right adjustment. think im going for the "master" replaced the slave already. I'm also getting a "whirring" sound when it warms up with the clutch in in gear.

Of course I did just drive it cross country and back this month.

Edited by PINION

I would say getting time for a new clutch. you might want to also try flushing the fluid from you clutch system. It is hydrolic. But it does sound like clutch. No issues putting it into 1st?

First is fine unless I am at a complete stop and try to go from neutral to 1st in a rush. In that case it'll grind a bit on the way in, but it goes into gear just fine.

Also: Not a mechanical issue, but I find it really hard to find a nice seating position because I have to be close enough to fully depress the clutch (very long travel), and yet that puts me a bit closer to the steering wheel than I'd like. If I sit further from the steering wheel in a comfortable position, I have to stretch to get the clutch in all the way.

Edited by Procrastinational

Nope you don't want grinding stuff will fail, but the clutch is hydraulic so it should be easy to put in literally no worse that your brake pedal. My bet is the clutch is reaching end of life, a worn out throwout bearing is not helping.

Reverse just pause, I have the same problem when I try to shift too fast.

Grinding is very very bad, once a while all standard drivers do it, but it should be very uncommon 1 shift in a 100.

Pay the money and get your transmission fluid changed, should be $50 to $80, and make sure they check for metal fragments. If you have a bunch you may have some problems.

Nope you don't want grinding stuff will fail, but the clutch is hydraulic so it should be easy to put in literally no worse that your brake pedal. My bet is the clutch is reaching end of life, a worn out throwout bearing is not helping.

Reverse just pause, I have the same problem when I try to shift too fast.

Grinding is very very bad, once a while all standard drivers do it, but it should be very uncommon 1 shift in a 100.

Pay the money and get your transmission fluid changed, should be $50 to $80, and make sure they check for metal fragments. If you have a bunch you may have some problems.

I didn't mean to make it seem like it was grinding every shift or everything. Going into 5th it maybe grinds once a week at most, and 1st, as long as I don't rush, there is no grinding at all. For now I think it's still in the wait and see stage. It's still at the point where the grinding is avoidable if I shift more slowly.

Interesting about the brake pedal. I would guess that my clutch pedal has about twice as much resistance, especially in the midrange of the travel. It gets a little lighter over the last inch or two when pushing it in.

I believe I had the transmission fluid changed sometime this spring. So I doubt there is more than about 10,000 Km on the fluid. I'll have them check the fluid just to be safe.

Master is left hand side, you will see 2 one for the brakes and one for the clutch - sorry I don't remember which is which but I think the clutch is smaller.

Thanks.

Is there a way to visually inspect it from the outside? Any common leak spots?

I have a transmission sitting under my deck with a stripped 1st gear no warning the gear just went. I got lucky and got a used transmission for 560 tax in.

I understand money being tight, I would suggest taking it really easy on your shifts. In winter and fall the shift to 1st can be really hard once it gets cold so take your time.

You need to baby that thing until you can get it looked at.

I made the mistake of putting GL5 gear oil in and noticed that it shifted poorly for months after that. My 2002 specifically calls for GL4 which is tricky to find.(I sourced some redline GL4).

After I put the correct oil in, it shifted great again. I don't believe our syncros like GL5.

Edited by keelhaul

I had grinding in 4th very slightly for a while so i just mostly skipped it, then when it started grinding in first every now and then i changed the fluid with Penzoil Synchro Mesh "spelling is probably wrong" being as MT-90 and Amsoil are hard to come by around here and MT-90 is pricey if you order it from summit racing. I noticed an immediate difference when i changed the fluid. It doesnt grind in any gear, and shifts great, better than it ever has in fact. The synchro mesh says right on the bottle that its friendly to gold colored metals, thats the only one i found that even hinted at being friendly to the synchros so i gave it a shot. Throw out bearing "release bearing" been bad since i purchased the pathy. Clutch is starting to slip a little bit when its cold so its time for a clutch for sure just as soon as it gets a bit warmer and im not working dark to dark.

Pat

• Like 1