Switches from 2wd to 4wd by itself!

Mehbenn

Hi y'all not sure if this is the right spot to post I don't really post much but I love the forum and I need everyone's knowledge so my buddy has a 2003 SE it would drive perfectly fine for about 5min in 2wd then just goes into 4wd out of no where and the lever doesn't move also light doesn't turn on I put It in N pull the lever to 4h then back the 2h still stays in 4 tried everything I could think of and we replaced the transfer case fluid thought that might help but didn't ohhh and only time it goes back to 2h is when it's the pathys off hopefully some one could help thank!

That's odd as most of the 2001+ have a dash mounted dial switch with an "auto" mode that would make your storey a little easier to diagnose.

I'd crawl underneath and look at the shifter linkage, It's pretty LO TeK . Can't for the life of me understand why it would shift auto style.

The dash mounted dial switch has an "auto" mode that might have a sensor that is having hicups. but the shift on the floor system is pretty simple.

sorry I can't help in this situation.

you never mentioned backing in reverse to unlock your front hubs after shifting back to 2Hi..? Sometimes I have to do this, sometimes I don't as the fronts usually seem to unlock on their own after I shift back but if the dash light doesn't go off, then I'll pull over and go in reverse about ten feet. It's good to do just to make sure.

I've had mine stick in 4HI before (IIRC the engagement is driven into 4x by the shifter, but driven back out by a spring so it won't disengage under load and strain the teeth), but I've never had it engage on its own. The fact that the light's not coming on makes me think that maybe there's something broken inside the transfer case itself, allowing the 2-4 engagement bit to move without the rest of the linkage moving. Maybe that return spring failed? It's been a while since I looked at the exploded diagram.

Just to rule out the linkage, watch it from underneath if you can and have your friend work the transfer shifter from 2H to 4LO and back and see if anything seems loose or broken.

Yeah his r50 is bone stock I tried the reverse thing wouldn't work I'll have to crawl under and check the link and spring this weekend thanks for all the input