need advice on replacing cv axle shafts

Megaton

Time to replace front axles. I haden't engaged my 4wd since last winter so I thought I'd check it. The chattering was incredible! It has me concerned. Any advice on replacements? Are the ones AC offers for $97 better than the autozone $70 ? I would like to upgrade if I could because I plan on doing more offroading in the future. I also plan on a lift kit, taller tires, manual hubs winch bumper,etc., as funds allow. The advise and info I've gotten on this site so far has been invaluable. Thanks!

Not sure if there is a difference between AC and autozone, but if you plan on doing any kind of offroad and would like a permanent solution for the cv boots, have a look here at my post back in 2010 : http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/26677-rockford-thermoplastic-cv-boot/

I am still running the same set I installed at this time and there is no signs of wear on them.... definitely worth every penny.

Thanks for the input everyone. I ordered the cardone select from rockauto. The parts guy at autozone said theirs were cardone select but he wanted $20 more than rockauto. The Rockford boots sound like a good idea. I will probably get a set for when I need to replace worn ones.

Thanks for the input everyone. I ordered the cardone select from rockauto. The parts guy at autozone said theirs were cardone select but he wanted $20 more than rockauto. The Rockford boots sound like a good idea. I will probably get a set for when I need to replace worn ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I took my pathy to Tirepros to have my axles installed. We found the autolock drive flang was siezed onto the axel. The mechanic said he had never seen this before. The flange will have to be destroyed to remove it. I guess I'll have to go to manual hubs sooner than I wanted to . I'll scrape up the money somehow. When it rains.....

As this is my only ride, I needed to get it back on the road asap. The only hubs Tirepros could get overnight were Warn premium at $210 ( their cost) which is about $30 higher than on Amazon. I called in some markers and Tirepros helped by letting me make payments so things are working out OK. The Warn hubs might be overkill for my purposes but I should'nt have to worry about breaking them. Thanks for the info.