Trans Fluid Change

fixinto

Just letting you guys know that i HIGHLY recommend, Pennzoil's synchromesh for trans. well at least as of last night. I havent changed the trans fluid since i bought it about 6 or 7 years ago. about a year ago it got to where i had to double clutch it in forth or it would grind a bit, and about a month ago it started consistently grinding in first if your were rolling even a tiny bit an the 4th grinding got bad enough to where i just skipped it half the time.

The reason i waited so long to change it is, it is super hard to find GL-4 trans fluid around here unless you order it from places like summit and even then its 90 dollars for the staggering 5.38 qt that the FSM says our trucks hold. or 10.75 pints.

i found amsoil and heard good things about it, but i couldnt find a place to get it in my area, MT-90 heard good things about that too, but again, summit and 90 bux is a turnoff.

So after much research, i came across synchromesh. when i drained my fluid it was dark, "nothing crazy" and smelled old like used lubrication. The fuzz on the drain plug magnet made me raise an eyebrow, but then again, i dont know how long its been since the truck had the trans serviced. I saw what was left of what looked like plumbers tape on the drain and fill plug so i am assuming it has been done at least once.

after traveling to 4 different parts stores to pick up 6 bottles of the synchromesh i threw it in there and could tell an immediate difference in the way the truck changed gears and just felt in general. not sure if it was because my fluid was thrashed or synchromesh is just that good, but it dont grind in any gear or even act like it wants to anymore. so for everyone having a hard time finding something local, there is my opinion so far, every now and again i will through an update at this post to let you guys know how its doing.

i also had another question, did the fill plug location on the trans being too low on some of the models effect all the way up to the 96? a little less than half of the way through the 5th bottle it started leaking out of the fill plug. i put my finger in to check the level and couldnt feel the oil, tried it 2 or 3 times. Finally i remembered reading the post about the fill plug, and also knowing what it said in the FSM i jacked up the front on the passenger side, and then did the same for the rear and added the rest of what was required with no problem.

so i dont know if the FSM has a misprint or if the Fill plug was too low. but its taken care of either way and it feels fantastic. would have included a pic of the pennzoil and the fuzz on the plug, but i couldnt find my cord to hook my phone to my pc.

have a good one

pat

Yep, the fill plug on the WDs is too low which is why you need to "overfill" with an extra quart. Synchromesh is good stuff. My transmission felt world's better after servicing it with MT90. It's still tired after all these miles and my abuse but it's much better.

gotcha, R50 this fill plug rule doesnt apply. Then it is a mystery indeed, as i had to jack the truck up to get it not to run out. at about 4 and 1/2 quarts, no matter how far i put my the tube into the trans, and i couldnt feel the fluid with my finger was the part that was strange. but i tilted her and filled it on up to where it should be. Anyone else with an R50 have it come out the fill plug at 4 and 1/2 qt or do i owe Murphy yet another punch in the face? hehe.

drove it some today, couple of 2 mile trips nothing major, but made it 15miles home and the ride today and felt like a whole different trans. should have done this a while ago.

got a pretty bad grinder boo boo at the beginning of the project, was planning on fixing some lingering exhaust leeks and doing the trans fluid. fixed one side of the exhaust the other side is fubar, im going to have to take it to the shop probably because i broke all three studs off the cat / exhaust flange. and my easy out pointed and laughed at me.

the moral of the story is EFF exhaust work, just spend the 30 from rock auto. lmao.

pat

well after several hundred miles, the trans is still shifting as good or better than it did when i bought the truck. the to do list is getting smaller and smaller, down to front diff and xfer case oil change, clutch pp throwout bearing, and struts then she is all caught up.

Pat

• Like 1

Find a good trusted transmission or auto shop. A shop that simply plugs the cooler lines into a machine is not doing it right, which is more than likely going to be the chain shops. The pan needs to be dropped so the filter can be changed.