Rear Bumper/Tire Swing pics for WD21

As part of the retrofit for the R50 carriers on my and a buddy's trucks, I replaced the OE hinge pins with a 5/8" bolt and used 1/8" nylon washers between the hinge brackets and carrier frame. This a produced a very good adjustable compression to control the swing...and super silent. OE pin is a 16mm shoulder-style pin with a 14mm end IIRC, so I just bored out the lower holes to get the bolt through.

I like the idea of the poly bushing, but I does it allow for excess motion? What sort of tension adjustment does the WD21 carrier have?

So far its firm, no abnormal movement or flexing. There was a lot more movement with the OEM worn bushings.

I just designed the spacing so that its about 1/16" smaller spacing (between the top and bottom of the pivot tube) to put some tension on the hinge bushings, then made sure there's grease on the outer faces of the bushings. Put in a grease fitting, and it's service-able. If it wears quickly, I might try and put in a nylon washer on the bottom on each hinge.

Most of the weight is on the lower flange of the bottom half of the poly bushing. The bushings are the ones used on links in in light suspensions, so they're built to take some movement and rebound. If there's any wear or softening of the bushing, it would likely only be on the bottom half. The bushing kits are about $15 and there's 4 bushings.

I've only a 31" spare on it for now, and the bushings are new. Will see how it holds up when there's a 35" spare on it (my plan was to go to a metal spindle with bearings for that, but thought I'd try this - cheap parts - design for now), but for up to 33", I think it'll hold up for a while. The good thing about the poly bushings, is they will absorb any flex from the rest of the carrier.

• 3 months later...

As part of the retrofit for the R50 carriers on my and a buddy's trucks, I replaced the OE hinge pins with a 5/8" bolt and used 1/8" nylon washers between the hinge brackets and carrier frame. This a produced a very good adjustable compression to control the swing...and super silent. OE pin is a 16mm shoulder-style pin with a 14mm end IIRC, so I just bored out the lower holes to get the bolt through.

I like the idea of the poly bushing, but I does it allow for excess motion? What sort of tension adjustment does the WD21 carrier have?

Hawa has a good point. I would be curious to know how much movement occurs with the poly bushings...however you could always install the stiffer Energy bushings in place should you need them to be more "solid."

Doesn't change the fact that it is a wicked cool mod!

Thought I'd report back on how the bushing is holding up (after about 3 months).

Not shown in the earlier pics, but I drilled a hole on each DOM sleeve, and am able to thread a grease nipple into it. The way it is set up up is that there is a very short hex set screw that sits flush in the DOM, and when its time to grease it, take out the set screw, screw in the grease nipple and give it a shot of grease, and then remove the nipple and put the set screw back in. The set screw is there to keep water and dirt out of the sleeve.

So far it works like a charm. Silent no rattle and no sagging when the carrier is open. Simple operation to close by slamming lightly - no alignment issues. So, so far, so good.

• 2 weeks later...

On the WD21s they hinge on the RR corner. If yours didn't come with one there is a thread on how to install a stock carrier. I believe they all have the mounting locations peened on the inside of the panel (from the inside). The hinge nor the latch actually contact the bumper at all. Here is a pic of mine after I installed a tube bumper and it didn't affect the tire carrier at all.

2014-09-03112021_zps58f1af39.jpg

Sorry for the OT, but good looking rims and mud tires!

• 8 months later...

Hawa has a good point. I would be curious to know how much movement occurs with the poly bushings...however you could always install the stiffer Energy bushings in place should you need them to be more "solid."

Doesn't change the fact that it is a wicked cool mod!

Thought there might be interest in knowing how the poly bushings are holding up after 1 year.

So far no visible signs of fatigue with the Energy Suspension bushings. When fully open, and even with applying some force up and down on the carrier, there's no play or flex with the bushings - the carrier is solid. I've a 31" real spare on it (not the OEM temp) and thought when going to a full size 35" spare that I might have to build a bumper mounted hinge, but given how this has worked so far, I don't see why going to a 33 or 35" will be a problem.

For under $20 for the bushings, this is one of the most effective upgrades as far as bang for the buck for a common WD21 Pathy problem.

• Like 2