Coolant lines- Back of Intake

ryanc

I pulled the upper intake of my 91 Path yesterday to replace an injector. I planned on replacing most of the hoses (vacuum and coolant) that were around the intake while I was doing this, so I cut the 2 lines on the back of the plenum and got new pieces. There is almost zero room back there to get the clamps seated. I attached the lines to the heater core tubing first with the intake removed and then after an hour of fighting them I got them attached to the back of the intake. However, when I fully set the plenum down, it kinked the lines I had worked so hard to attach. I called it quits for the night before I started breaking things.

Any tips on doing this?

What I usually do is attach the two heater core hoses to the upper plenum first when it is detached from the lower section. I eyeball how they need to go orientation wise to be close and I make sure that the clamps tangs are facing in a direction that I will be able to get at once I slide it down into place. I then use my set of long needle nose pliers with varying bent tips (one is straight, one is at a 45 degree and one is at a 90 degree angle) to reach down and quickly loosen the clamp in place so I can maneuver the heater core lines onto the heater core end.

Placing those tubes to the plenum after it is bolted down in place is a pain! I have also done that too but it is MUCH easier to attach them to the plenum first, before you place the plenum back into place. I've pulled and replaced pathy plenums 7 or 8 times now and i assure you the first time is definitely the hardest ! Long needle nose pliers are key!

Whether pre or post plenum bolt-down, I find it easier to get those buggers on if you lubricate the inside of the hoses and the line nipples with antifreeze before cussing them on (much the way you'd lubricate the oil filter gasket with oil).

• 2 weeks later...