Record Players and LPs

Rebelord

Anyone into this stuff? Beginning to build a collection.

I have a simple Gemini SA 600 record player. Nothing fancy, but is a direct drive and works pretty decent connected to my Onkyo amp and B&W speakers. I do know where a few Technics SL1200 are. Might invest in one of those later.

I do think I need a new needle for my Gemini. The needle is full of lint/dust. Trying to find a good way, also need to clean some of my records. Wife found some crazy way to use kids elmer glue. Cover record playing area, let dry then peel off. Takes off all the grime. Found that interesting.

As for records. I am going for mostly classic rock type. So far have picked up a original Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. Jimi Hendrix Experience - LadyLand double, Elton John, ZZ Top. All originals.

My wife works at a music store that sells LPs and has a HUGE collection of used and see's all the new ones when they come in. So she has been grabbing them. For um, well below retail.

So, lets hear it guys.

Rebelord

I use the uncles jukebox a little for some oldies 45s, there's an awesome record store a couple blocks from work that can handle about any music inquiries http://atticrecordstoreinc.com . Once we get into our own place and I have my own corner, one of my plans is to set myself up so I can veg out by myself to some static and crackle the way it was meant to be!

Bought this turntable from a guy at work:

JVC,

j0csgx.jpg

Sansui Receiver, 60 watts x 2, haven';t had it over 4 it's LOUD !!:

t7edz6.jpg

Pioneer "Book shelf" Yeah OK !!! Speakers, HPM100 bought them from another guy a t work, tweeters were shot, installed a set of Dayton soft dome's, into a wooden adapter so I wouldn't have to make new holes in the cabinets:

kd1z5y.jpg

I've got an old Pioneer PL-7 Direct Drive that I bought new ~30 years ago. It's only 2-speed: 45 and 33 RPM. Trying to get it with with my new receiver wasn't fun, though, because the turntable needs to be grounded to the receiver. :( It wasn't a problem with the old receiver - it had a special grounding screw for the turntable - but not any more.

I've got about 100 LPs - and a local used book/video/CD/LP store, so I can add to my collection on occasion.

Analog vinyl sounds so much richer and fuller than ANY digital media, audiophiles have always known this and the rest of the populous is catching on. Many of you did not grow up in the vinyl age so you have to experience the difference for yourself.

Right on to those finding the worth of old vinyl. Keep it healthy with a good turntable and a high quality stylus that uses minimal needle pressure.

I have a pioneer deck, optonica amplifier and klipsch heresy one speakers circa ~1976. It's all hooked up to my computer as well, the sound is truly fantastic.

In a related question, anyone know where to get needles?

I am actually looking for a new turntable right now, as mine bit the dust and isn't worth repairing. I have probably 200 LP's and almost 50 45's...I have all of frank zappa's albums, most beatles albums. And then there is some nunya-esque stuff I don't know how I ended up with.