ADVICES

lalinde89

Hey guys!!

Im new and im starting a new project. I have a pathfinder 88, motor vg301, all stock. I was wondering if you could give me some advices of what will be good to improve for the motor, suspension and everything you think is important for starting to go ride off road. Maybe some brands and stuff right for my model.

THX!!

As he said, you should browse around a bit and get a feel for what you would like to do. And for reference your engine is a VG30i(TBI = Throttle Body Injection), later models had VG30e's (MPFI = Multi Port Fuel Injection) but you won't find a VG301 :aok:

• Like 1

Research suspension parts options before buying there.

There are things to know about certain parts, such as UCA's, before deciding what you should buy. :togo:

Yep, If I would not have gotten some of their UCA's from another member for next to nothing I would have (and probably still will) go with the Rough Country UCA's. They address the UBJ angle much better...

As he said, you should browse around a bit and get a feel for what you would like to do. And for reference your engine is a VG30i(TBI = Throttle Body Injection), later models had VG30e's (MPFI = Multi Port Fuel Injection) but you won't find a VG301 :aok:

Thx! Sorry for the ignorance, whats UCA?

UCA = Upper Control Arms.

Of the main suppliers, 4x4parts, Superlift, Rough Country and Calmini I personally recommend Super lift and Rough Country (other than finish, they are exactly the same and both are made by Superlift.)

• 4x4Parts - Allows aftermarket shocks, but DOES NOT correct ball joint angles after lifting.
  • SL/RC - Allows aftermarket shocks and DOES correct ball loint angles after lifting.
  • Calmini - Reported interference issues with some aftermarket shocks, DOES correct ball joint angles after lifting, many report noise and early wear problems with bushings.

That said, I highly recommend that you research them here on the forum and come to your own decision before buying, if that ends up being a Mod you would like to do.

:beer:

EDIT: Your options may also be limited based on availability locally or a sellers willingness to ship to your country :shrug:

Edited by RedPath88
Location Note

UCA = Upper Control Arms.

Of the main suppliers, 4x4parts, Superlift, Rough Country and Calmini I personally recommend Super lift and Rough Country (other than finish, they are exactly the same and both are made by Superlift.)

• 4x4Parts - Allows aftermarket shocks, but DOES NOT correct ball joint angles after lifting.
  • SL/RC - Allows aftermarket shocks and DOES correct ball loint angles after lifting.
  • Calmini - Reported interference issues with some aftermarket shocks, DOES correct ball joint angles after lifting, many report noise and early wear problems with bushings.
That said, I highly recommend that you research them here on the forum and come to your own decision before buying, if that ends up being a Mod you would like to do.

EDIT: Your options may also be limited based on availability locally or a sellers willingness to ship to your country :shrug:

Really great info!!Thx a lot! Im from Costa Rica so now i will search more to buy the best option!

Another think, what you think about the engine? Theres something need to know that could improve or some problem?

VG30i is a bulletproof little motor if you make sure to do at least regular maintenance on it. It does not make much power in stock, N/A form.

2 biggest problems

1) It is an interference engine so change that timing belt regularly and early. If it breaks you are in for a major headache

2) Exhaust studs. They are small (M8x1.25) and prone to breaking. Usually the rear ones will break first then the front and then the rest. The top end is aluminum. Broken studs can be a PITA. Been there before.

Upgrades?

First give it a good tune up. Fluids and such. If you want more, I suggest headers. I have headers by Pacesetter made for the VG30e on my VG30i. Stock exhaust and stock intake. The pacesetters are mild steel and do need some sort of coating to protect them. The black shipping paint burns off fast. The Y pipe needs to be cut and then put back together to even get it on the truck. The flange at the end of the Y pipe needs some hack saw to make it seal. Was it worth it? Yes! Better throttle response and noticeably more power. I have not put mine on a dyno but it does do the occasional unwanted wheel spin that it never used to do, even with a trailer behind it. I also have a 4.1 rear end.

I have read cams are a close second best upgrade to the headers. I have no experience with them.

Exhaust. It can help or just make it sound cool. I run stock so I cannot comment.

JWT in california does do ECU tunes but after talking to them the $500 price tag would get me a little better throttle response and nothing else. Not worth it to me.

No real options for intake unless you design your own. One of these days I will get around to making a custom intake for this engine and report on how it does.

I think that covers upgrades for the engine. Not too much out there.

• Like 1

VG30i is a bulletproof little motor if you make sure to do at least regular maintenance on it. It does not make much power in stock, N/A form.

2 biggest problems

1) It is an interference engine so change that timing belt regularly and early. If it breaks you are in for a major headache

2) Exhaust studs. They are small (M8x1.25) and prone to breaking. Usually the rear ones will break first then the front and then the rest. The top end is aluminum. Broken studs can be a PITA. Been there before.

Upgrades?

First give it a good tune up. Fluids and such. If you want more, I suggest headers. I have headers by Pacesetter made for the VG30e on my VG30i. Stock exhaust and stock intake. The pacesetters are mild steel and do need some sort of coating to protect them. The black shipping paint burns off fast. The Y pipe needs to be cut and then put back together to even get it on the truck. The flange at the end of the Y pipe needs some hack saw to make it seal. Was it worth it? Yes! Better throttle response and noticeably more power. I have not put mine on a dyno but it does do the occasional unwanted wheel spin that it never used to do, even with a trailer behind it. I also have a 4.1 rear end.

I have read cams are a close second best upgrade to the headers. I have no experience with them.

Exhaust. It can help or just make it sound cool. I run stock so I cannot comment.

JWT in california does do ECU tunes but after talking to them the $500 price tag would get me a little better throttle response and nothing else. Not worth it to me.

No real options for intake unless you design your own. One of these days I will get around to making a custom intake for this engine and report on how it does.

I think that covers upgrades for the engine. Not too much out there.

Thank you! Great to know!

Im restoring my pathfinder, I love this car, its Really cool.