VQ35DE synthetic oil? and mpg issue

AkPrecision

I am due for another oil change soon and I was thinking of running sybthetic instead of its normal 10/30. I think I remember reading somewhere that its bad to use synthetic oil. Is this true and if so why? Also I average 12-14 mog. I mostly drive in the city. I may get on the freeway one or twice a week and only for like 10-15 miles. I drive 3 miles to work and run errands all over town. I have a slightly heavy foot but not to bad. I try not to go over 2500 rpms but once in a while ill hit 3000+ lol. I did add new 16" aluminum pro comp rims but mileage is the same before and after. Is this mileage normal for city miles? Is therr anything that will help besides going a bit slower. I also have warn hubs. Thanks for any advice

Mike

I've run both Royal Purple or Mobil 1 5w30 since buying my pathfinder new in 2001....130,000 miles and still running strong. I personally like running a quality synthetic product, and also service the differentials, transfer case, and transmission. Don't know why anyone would be against synthetic except for the price. I average 16 mpg city, 18 hwy....tire size, lift, and driving habits will all impact mpg. Short trips and lots of stop and go driving will certainly bring you below the factory EPA rating. I long ago accepted that my pathfinder was never going to be a fuel miser.

Walmart carries Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic High Mileage for about $32 5qt jug. Pretty much the cheapest out there, depending on area of course. Which is what I'd say most of us run on this forum.

As for oil filter, try to stay away from Fram filters. I usually just pick up the Bosch filter while in Wallyworld.

As for your mileage, do you have any pending codes? May not have a light on, but still pending codes. Can be checked at usually any auto parts store; Autozone, Advanced Auto etc.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs? If 4wd with auto transfer case, make sure your in 2 High. Just a few things to check out.

It's on the low side but with city driving not really surprising. The 3 miles to work does not help any since the engine is probably still in open loop mode by the time you get there. That's the worst thing for EFI engines is running in open loop from start up to shut off as the ECU is running off richer base maps.

Ok thanks a lot guys. Sorry been in the middle of a move and haven't had a chance to reply. So going to synthetic from standard oil won't be bad? I did that in my tundra and ita been great. I don't have any pending codes. I did have a misfire a few weeka back and replaced the proper coil pack. The plugs do need to be changed soon. I do also have the k and n drop in filter. Will that allow so much air in that it is raising the air fuel ratio? And will I see any real impact from changing to synthetic oil. I have dropped nearlh $10, 000 into this thing in the last year including purchasing the car for $4300. I replaced the pcm, idle air control valve, rear upper control arms, 3 coil pack the full exhaust with all 4 "ca" cats that was $1500. Therea a few other things I replaces jist can't think of it. Im on my 2nd pcm. It has a 2 year warranty and a buddy at a local shop got it for me for $450 with programming

I bought my '01 vq35de recently with 110k miles on it. I considered myself to be the luckiest man in the world when the seller brought me EVERY synthetic oil change receipt since 01.

I firmly believe in the use of synthetic. Mobil 1 is great stuff.

My ' 98 just gets semi syn though.. dont tell her.

Been using synthetic in my '01 since the first oil change, changing with a Bosch or purolator filter every 5k miles, got 140k on her now, still super smooth and clean. I've primarily run Castrol, but a few times here n there used Mobil1 or Pennzoil due to availability, all ran pretty much the same but seems a touch quieter with the Castrol.