constant SQUEELING driving me insane

xdvious

i have a 97ti that over the past 2 years has a front end squeeling that is getting worse

it happens when driving straight without brakes on..

the sound sometimes changes tones when the brakes are applied but gennerally it sounds like the on going squeeling of an old freight train and it doesnt change with brake apllication

it is very loud now...

many so called proffesionals have looked at it and tried many fixes... none have worked

i have met another Pathfinder owner who had the same model and his was doing this aswell he couldnt fix his and is even trying to sell it..

we have tried different brake pads as it sounds like a pad vibrating noise

we have tried an anti squeeling paste on the pads..

we have machined the discs..

we have replaced front bearings..

we have replaced dust seals( this is what Nissan said it was)

the last thing we done was the bearings.. the noise has quitened down by 60% but is still there

the only thing which is strange is that if you slightly turn left or right then the noise dissapears for a few seconds then returns????

if anyone has any ideas PLEASE HELP.. it is very annoying.. people all look when i come past as the sound is very bad

its driving me insane as well..

I think Nissan is right, it's the inner seals making the noise. But I'm surprised they didn't tell you they had a fix detailed in a TSB (97-014A) for this issue. They came out with redesigned baffle plates that have a dust seal attached so you can remove the original dust seals from the back of the hubs. Supposedly they are designed to prevent this type of noise. The new baffle plate part#s are:

Baffle Plate RH 41150-1W400

Baffle Plate LH 41160-1W400

If you get these please post back with prices, next time I lube the bearings I might put these in.

Edited by lewisnc100

I had a terrible squeal in the front passenger side of my pathy. I was ready to pull all my hair out until I finally decided to make my wife get out of the truck. Problem solved. :)

:clap:

Funny, I've noticed that same thing, only intermittently, and only when she's in the truck......I'll have to try your solution!!!!!!

:cool2:

thanks for that guys

wife wasnt in the car when it makes the noise soo i dont think its that.. :D

why do you think the balljoint???

i have checked them and i didnt find any play

but i must say everytime someone touches the front end like changing bearings or brakes the noise goes away for a few days

so maybe i'll try the baffle plates thanks