Rust issues with Chrome

Guest oekundar

Yes. Maintenance is key, so polish and/or wax when you can. Also, be sure to clean the back side of things like wheels and bumpers, and if they're new maybe a clear coat or some sort of sealing would help on the back. :shrug: I've got a 1 year old new chrome front bumper that, when taken off to see the back, is already starting to rust like crazy. And I'm in WA where they don't use salt and stuff.

If you do start to see rust, steel wool cleans it up very nicely it if's not too pitted. After it starts to pit though, it's just a matter of time before you'll need a rechrome. Proper maintenence will prevent pitting though.

• 1 month later...

When I got a hold of my pathy the chromies that came stock were already rusted to hell, so I'm thinking of maybe powder coating them black. Has anybody here tried painting a set of rusted stock chrome rims? I think this would be a decent solution since I believe mine to be rusted beyond ever looking good again. Tell me what you think, or if you have any other solutions.

Thanks.

For less than the cost, not to mention the trouble, of stripping the chrome off and getting them powder coated you could buy a set of new black steel rockcrawler rims @ about $40 ea. As far as painting over the chrome, I think you would have a hard time getting the paint to stick even after you roughed them up. It would prolly chip off real easy. Check Summit Racing. They have good prices on a pretty large selection of rims.

Thanks for the tip, and the link Big Shoe, but I tend to think that a thick rotating wire brush on a power drill would make light work of striping off that chrome. Or maybe it won't, I'm not sure because I haven’t tried yet. (We’ll see if you've proved me wrong when I get around to trying it out :P ) As for the cost aspect of things, I've got a friend that works at a powder coating shop, I could just leave my rims with him and the next time they do an order in black he'll just throw them on the end of the line and have them run through with everything else. $20 and a case of beer should settle that debt. :beer:

BTW. Powder coating is what your refrigerator, stove, washer and dryer are all coated with. Take a stone to the back side of your dryer some time you'll see you wont get much more then a couple scuffs, This stuff will beat paint out any day for chip resistance. :aok:

Yeah, powdercoat is great stuff. The rims of my old Honda CBR900RR were black powdercoat. At one time I was thinking about getting a kit from Eastwood Tools and an old oven and trying my hand at a few pieces. It's tough as nails and usually looks better than paint. If you've got the hook up, definately go with that. Man, I wish I had your connections.

BTW, I thought most major appliances are baked enamel, though I could be wrong...

Most appliances are baked enamel finishes, although some high-end ones use porcelain composites or more commonly, stainless steel.

One of those little Eastwood systems would be nice if you had the extra bucks. I would love to see a total color-matched frame and suspension coating on my Pathy... :aok:

Plus, I'm tired of repainting my tire carrier, etc. every few years... ;)

Edited by hardwaretoad