Realistic non Wagoneer front axle options

I'm looking for good options for an SAS down the road... but Wagoneer axles are not easily or cheaply sourced where I live. So, barring a unicorn sighting, I need a more realistic axle choice. I have considered a Jeep XJ non disconnect dana turdy with a Ford 8.8 rear to match the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern...not really sold on that choice though.

Any other REALLY common junkyard axle choices? My nearest u pull yards are 1000+ kilometres away so unless I want to pay someone else to pull it for me I need to be darn near guaranteed that my axle choice will be in the yard when I'm already in the area

That'd depend on where you are and the dominant 4x4's I. Your fabrication skills and how much effort you are willing to put into it to make it work.

Dodge half ton, ford 3/4 ton, there are a lot of options. Research is your friend here.

Ford would be the ideal choice (in my opinion) they came with a narrowed down d44 up front and a 9" rear which ford did do their axles right (ford hater here) I almost bought a set of axles out here for 1000$ (okanagan) again they ain't cheap, I would keep an eye on craigslist etc and look for a donor truck. And also look up the differences on years and axles so you can clearly identify which ones they are. Honestly, some people will hate this... One of the earlier xtreme 4x4 episodes they talked about axles and differences in between them, I found that helpful but I hate that spikey haired guy lol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for good options for an SAS down the road... but Wagoneer axles are not easily or cheaply sourced where I live. So, barring a unicorn sighting, I need a more realistic axle choice. I have considered a Jeep XJ non disconnect dana turdy with a Ford 8.8 rear to match the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern...not really sold on that choice though.

Any other REALLY common junkyard axle choices? My nearest u pull yards are 1000+ kilometres away so unless I want to pay someone else to pull it for me I need to be darn near guaranteed that my axle choice will be in the yard when I'm already in the area

I went with a D44 from a 3/4 T Ford and used Chevy knuckles and brakes, installed an ARB and its been fine for more than 15 years. Recently replace the leaf spring set up and went to coilovers.

• 4 weeks later...

I know some people get sticker shock when they see it all in one price but when you break it down, it all makes sense.

I've got a 4-link for the rear also, I'll have coilover brackets for the rear available soon as well.

Let me tell you, it all works incredibly well. Performance at a level that you can't get out of a D44 anyways.

Red_Lake_OHV-Trail_2059.jpg

Red_Lake_OHV-Trail_2062.jpg

Edited by SteeevO

• 1 year later...