Retrofitting parts

CDN_S4

I went to the junk yard today and found 4 Pathfinders there. I found 2 things of interest to me:

1 - rear window wind deflector

2 - spare tire swing mount

The deflector is a simple screw on piece. Although it is off a WD21 and the trunk is less rounded, the mounts still fit by the looks of it. There is just something about drilling into the metal that acares me as that is just an invitation for rust.

Any input or ideas on how to mount this thing?

The other question is, if the swing mount can be retrofitted. I don't know if there is a support bracket in the frame that the swing mount is mounted up against or if it's just drilled into the body?

agy6ugyz.jpg

a8y6e5up.jpg

If the tire swing is for a WD21 it wont fit our r50's and plus, if your pathfinder did not come with a tire carrier stock then it does not have enough support behind the body for it. You'd also have to modify the bumper plates that the carrier locks onto. I bought my carrier off e-bay , It fit perfectly and just needed a quick re-spray , heres one of a carrier that's been up for some time now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-NISSAN-PATHFINDER-SPARE-TIRE-MOUNT-SWING-CARRIER-BRACKET-96-99-/291102581259?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3APathfinder&hash=item43c710e20b&vxp=mtr

Edited by NIssanBoston

The wind diffuser will be swappable :) although the brake light cutout isn't the same as on the R50. It will just make mine more unique I guess.

How bout we thread jack this into parts that will interchange between pathys xterra and frontiers

oohh thats going to be tough, those things are completely different rigs. Body on frame, different steering, leaf spring rear, double wishbone front.

The only thing that would the same is basic engine and transmission parts, and thats only on the VG, not the VQ.

And maybe some of the interior, i remember someone on here, not too long ago, swapped the A/C controls over, but not much else would easily bolt on.

-Kyle

Im pretty sure the front bumper off a frontier will bolt up to a r50 as the 98 body style has the same body lines for the fenders and hood

And the the plastic part has the same mount spots (as referring to my hanes manual)

Edited by thorpe991

Fitted a WD21 rear window diffuser. Obviously needed to convincing and fit isn't 100% but it's on there right and looks pretty good to me. If you don't know it, you probably wouldn't notice that it isn't supposed to be there.

upyzu6ej.jpg

Just wondering if i could swap heads off a vq35 to a vg33 i am not familiar to the way nissan does there engines as i was raised working on gm 305 and 350s

The reason i ask is that on gm motors you can swap 350 heads and camshaft to get more power and a different sound out of a 305

Wondering if its possible with nissan engines

• Like 1

I seriously doubt it. As much I wish Japanese motors were that easily swapped as American big and small blocks, these just arnt. I know a lot of interchangeability exists between the rb series of engines. (25 and 26 heads on 30 blocks for example) but from series to series, I don't think it's that easy, but I have no proof to back that up.

Be sweet if they were though.

-Kyle

Yeah it would especially for the different sound from the bigger cams and valves

I wonder if vq cams and valve rods and parts would swap over as a cam upgrade like you can do to the chevy engines

Yeah it would especially for the different sound from the bigger cams and valves

I wonder if vq cams and valve rods and parts would swap over as a cam upgrade like you can do to the chevy engines

Again, really doubt it, even if they fit, i doubt the lift and loft would be functional.

But someone with a part VQ maybe you should see whats swappable? (*cough* muddfildvaynes *cough*)

Im sure a local yard has a VG33 they don't need, one of my yards throwaway the higher mileage ones they have on hand when one comes in with a lower mileage. There are that many pathy's being parted!!

-Kyle

Yeah i thought i read some whet that the newer ones were bigger so its like a break up grade but I'm not sure

Might be some truth to that. The facelifts did move up to a 16" wheel ..

*edit .. then again, I have retrofitted 15" steelies on mine. I ended up having to shave the corners of the calipers when I had the brake pads replaced.

Edited by devonianwalk

The wind diffuser will be swappable :) although the brake light cutout isn't the same as on the R50. It will just make mine more unique I guess.

I've thinking on taking the one from my '98 and putting it on my '03. The new one doesn't have one and it seems to pick up a lot more dirt on the back window than the old one did, could be my imagination though.

I'd do some quick checking to see what of the front suspension is different before doing a "brake upgrade". Just see if they both use the same spindles, and hub carriers. Gives you idea of what to buy and what will work...

Why am I such a pessimist in this thread..

Lol

-Kyle