Xterra Auto Hub

PJSnow

Alright so i really want to take on a new hub but im torn between manual hubs or auto. got a couple of questions:

1. Is it only the auto hub from a 2000 or 2001 xterra that will fit? or up to 2004?

2. the xterra hubs seem to have bolts instead of studs, will the thread pattern fit the holes for the studs? basically is it a bolt on project?

3. is it worth going for the xterra hubs instead or warn locking hubs? i would get new warn hubs which i hear a good quality but that means i have to get out of the car all the time to engage 4wd. with the xterra hub i would probably get them from a junk yard which means they got some use and are they more prone to break? but the benefit is i dont have to get out to engage them.

4. are there any other auto hubs to look into?

5. is it harder to install auto hubs?

still a newbie to cars, hence all the questions but i appreciate any help. thanks

FYI The auto hubs for a WD22 Xterra are discontinued by Nissan.

You are correct that the R50 uses studs and the WD22 uses bolts.

I cannot say if the hubs for a WD22 Xterra are compatable with a R50.

IIRC the R50 CV axles don't have the snap ring groove cut into the splines that's needed to attach an auto hub. WD21 axles have two grooves, one for auto and one for manual, but R50s apparently just have the one for manuals. I guess you could have them machined (or see if an Xterra CV would fit), but it would be a lot of trouble for auto hubs, and IMO they're not worth it.

Auto hubs sound great in theory, but were a pain in my everything in practice, failing to engage, failing to disengage, coming half disengaged and chattering like the wheel was gonna fall off, and I never knew if they were properly locked or not until I either spun out or didn't (or the transfer case made grinding noises instead of slotting in). Of course, mine were pretty worn out, so your mileage may vary.

Still, my understanding is that they won't lock unless you're driving forward in 4x, and you can't always do that. The other day I got myself stuck, couldn't go forward because there was a fence there, and didn't have the traction to back up in 2HI. I got out, locked the hubs, and walked it right out of there without even messing up the grass. With autos I would've needed another rig and a tow strap.

If that's for both (can't tell from listing) it's a better price than I got my MMs for. I've heard that MMs aren't as strong as Warns, and IIRC MauiTrailGuy grenaded one.

I haven't really beat on mine yet, so I can't recommend for/against them.

So I just ordered the Warn hubs off amazon. I saw a really good post a while ago with great pics of the warn install but i cant seem to find it anymore. anybody know what im talking about/can find it?