New Thermostat bad?

ahardb0dy

This is in my 93 hardbody with the KA24E engine:

I think the new thermostat my mech. buddy put in is not working, this is what it is doing, let me know what you think.

Temp gauge sits just below center after coming to temp and driving .

Heat is not the greatest, tried bleeding air out of the air relief screw a few times, no change.

The plastic top of the radiator gets HOT ! I mean if you accidentally touch it, IT'S HOT !

upper hose gets real hot, lower hose does not.

Water in radiator is only warm

No matter how long the engine is running I can take the radiator cap off and there is no pressure, put a new cap on yesterday after work, let the truck idle for about 20 minutes and still no pressure when taking the cap off.

Water is being pushed out the overflow hose ( this was with the old radiator cap, did not see any water come out with the new cap) yet !

What do you think? water pump was also replaced.

Thanks

No, don't want to take it apart yet, just wanted to see if what I am seeing may indicate it is bad, I'll have my guy replace it if it's bad, I paid him to put it in and he bought it so he can do it.

This does sound like a bad/incorrect thermostat issue to me. It has the classic symptoms.

It is not unheard of to put a new thermostat in and it be bad. I have seen this many many times on all sorts of brands.

Edited by Alkorahil
  • Like 1