Heavy Door

PJSnow

Alright so first actual post here. I did search this but couldn't find anything. So my passenger door is really difficult to close. anyone that uses it complains that its too heavy to close. i figured i would spray some wd40 on it but there is a wire harness running close to the hinge so i just want to make sure i dont screw up any of the electrical stuff in the door. also should i lubricate the hinge or the black track looking plastic piece that slides into the door. Thanks guys!

If it moves, spray it!

How are you door pin/bushings? Any play in them? Door line up good still? I've seen that 'black track thing' (which is what holds the door from swinging back at you when open) start to freeze on many cars (mostly mid/late 90s Subarus honestly)

ok cool. the door is still lined up good with the body. what is the pin/bushing on the door? sorry im not the best with all these terms still trying to learn

but thanks for the reply appreciate it!

ok so this is what i see

image_zpsc75c0222.jpg

so i put wd40 on this (you can see the sheen on it) and also on both hinges

image_zpsdb755e19.jpg

it helped for the most part but its still harder to close than the other doors (not a big deal anymore but anything else i can do?

can i spray wd40 where the white arrow points inside or are there wires in there so i shouldnt? and the red circled bolts can i take out the assembly and spray it? or do i have to take out the whole door panel? Thanks for the help guys i know its a lot on such a small stupid thing.

1548404e-75f3-457a-9555-d2ef53d989ef_zps

To "remove" it you have to pull the door panel as it is actually 'inside' the door but it is safe to spray where your arrow is pointing. I'd suggest some kind of lithium grease that will stick longer than 5 minute wd40 though.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say find a quality degreaser, like purple power or potentially simple green. Soak the area in that and work it into all the books and crannies. Then carefully hose it off, and shoot the hinges, and black slide in a silicone lubricant or something like that.