Loud whine - diff or transmission?

stioc

I just got back from a trail run on Sat (pics in the pics section), didn't notice anything odd on my 2hr freeway drive home. Only thing out of the ordinary was I had to do a full throttle pass to get around an 18 wheeler. This morning driving the truck to work I immediately noticed that under load there's a very audible whine. Almost like an old school bus transmission whine. It's mainly audible under load and I can hear it best/loudest from 20-40mph after that I think it drowns out under the engine and wind noise. I can't hear it at hwy cruise speeds unless I accelerate. Not sure if it's driveline related (ujoints, drive shaft or the diff it self) or transmission (pump, torque converter). I shifted into neutral while moving but as I said it's not quite audible unless the engine is under load.

I'll check the diff and trans oil when I get home but thought I'd post and see if anyone else has run into similar symptoms.

I get a whine at about 80kph, after that it stops...I asked my dad about it, He's a life long VW mechanic, he said the whine is associated with the large teeth on the diff gears, its a sign of heavy duty stuff.

One trick is to find an area where you can drive along next to a solid fence or wall with the windown down. The sound will be reflected allowing you to hear it much better, possibly locating the bacis area it comes from, and you can also play with throttle, brake, etc to see what makes it better or worse. Having a friend in the back seat would help as well.

Do a visual check that there is nothing wrapped or bound at the wheel, rotors, driveline, etc.

From my experience, whine under load will be gears, so tranny/driveline/rear end.

B

take a look at your center support bearing (AKA Carrier Bearing) on your propeller shaft. It fits your noise description. and you did go trailing you may have knocked it around. :)

Edited by Alkorahil