Waterlogged!

Kafike

Hey guys! I haven't been on in a bit but started having issues with the Pathy dying when I let off the gas. So i started researching here and was going to check out IACV among other things yesterday. Well, it started pouring rain when I got off work. Which never happens here in New Mexico. :lmao: So, instead I asked the kids if they wanted to go play in the Pathy. Of course they said yes. So off we went. I have open desert right across from my house so that's where we went. Tooling around through the mud and splashing through puddles. Nothing crazy. Just having fun. Well, i turned to go down a trail to go through a puddle and hit the hardball and swing back to the house. The "puddle" was pretty big, it crossed the whole trail but didn't think anything of it. It's all flat out in this area, wouldn't be deep at all. Ya know, no more than a couple inches, maybe a foot. WRONG!! :doh:

Turns out that shallow water was 3-4 feet deep. I hit the water and lo and behold the Pathy doesn't know how to swim. The motor died and muddy water was coming in the doors. To make a long story short. We were stuck good. Thankfully, others were out playing and a pretty lifted F250 came to pull me out. The water scared his wife because when he pulled me out, the next "puddle" was even deeper lol. that one had water at my window level but he pulled me to a somewhat dryer location...and even towed me home. It was only about a block and he lives on the same street; just further down. By this time, i'm covered in mud from hooking up the tow strap and crawling through the window of the Pathy. The kids thought it was pretty cool and my wife laughed at me. We all had a good laugh. Gonna buy the guy a 12 pack tonight for helping me out. The truck is drying out right now. Don't want to start it right now. Hope I didn't hydrolock (sp?) the engine but if I did...all the more incentive to drop in the 3.3L I have in the garage. Just thought I would share with you guys. All in all, I thought it was pretty funny but this is my toy and I have another engine sitting for it all ready.

Work computer won't let me add photos. I only got a couple after I got it back to the house. I'll add those later.

Yes, hopefully it died due to electrical short, but only one way to tell...

I assume the air box was submerged? What I would do is pull all the spark plugs, crank it over and see if any water comes out of the holes/tail pipe, then do a compression check, and lastly, reinstalling the plugs and seeing if it starts/runs.

Some people have gulped a lot of water cranked it through without obvious harm, others have done a lot of damage with perhaps a cup of water. Gonna have to find out... :shrug:

Good luck though!

Hey, being in the desert, don't you know to watch out for vados when it rains? :scratchhead:

B

All the electrical is working...well it was yesterday anyways. Haven't had a chance to look at it today yet. When I get home I will probably start cleaning mud out of it. Not sure about the air box but probably got water in it. I'll start checking things on Saturday.

Vados?? We have plenty of vatos here lol but they go indoors when it rains :laugh:

All the electrical is working...well it was yesterday anyways. Haven't had a chance to look at it today yet. When I get home I will probably start cleaning mud out of it. Not sure about the air box but probably got water in it. I'll start checking things on Saturday.

Vados?? We have plenty of vatos here lol but they go indoors when it rains :laugh:

Just pull the plugs before you crank it...

Vados, Vatos, the difference one letter makes... :lol:

B

Awesome, the [ictures worked first time :jig: Power still works. Still wet inside. I'll check the engine out tomorrow. Dropped off a 12 pack to the guy that pulled me out and hung out with him for a good while after work. Cool guy...what a way to make friends lol

IMG_20140716_200332_zpszly1mayw.jpg

As Precise said, pull the plugs before you turn it over.

I just had this happen to me 2 weeks ago and had to tow my Pathy back (just took it straight to the shop) and they said I was lucky to not have gotten it turned over as a couple cylinders were full of water.

Damn! Glad you have a sense of humor about it!

You might want to make sure the ECU under the seat is dry, and check the connector to it as well, so it isn't holding water and shorts anything. Good luck Bud!

B

Devonianwalk, my neighbors were giving me crap about it and not getting pictures. I wasn't thinking about pictures as i was swimming around trying to hook up tow straps and make sure my boys weren't gonna open the doors lol. I'll be checking things out this afternoon when I get home. Plugs will be getting pulled first thing. Might pull all the carpet out and give it a good cleaning. It needed it anyway.

Precise, no sense in getting mad or anything...and it was pretty funny...it wouldn't change anything. If it was my daily driver then that would be a different story. But then I wouldn't have been out in the desert playing anyway. Good point on checking the ECU. Never figured it would ever get wet since there is never any water here :lol:

plus, with the plugs out, after cranking until no water is gushing out, use a length of tubing or something and put a tablespoon or so of oil in each wet cylinder. Then crank a couple times to smear it around. This will help prevent rust if you are out of comission for more than a couple days. Once the plugs are back in and she's running, any residual water/mud/oil will blow out through the exhaust. The most important thing is to not crank with a full cylinder.

• Like 1

... no sense in getting mad or anything...and it was pretty funny...it wouldn't change anything.

This is my philosophy on life. Of all the things that we can die of; stress will not be the one! :aok:

Here is an update for you guys. I pulled the plugs and the fuse for the fuel pump. Plugs were a pain cause mud was packed in on top of the plugs. Couldn't get a socket on until i used my compressor to blow the mud out. Anyways, a lot of water came out when i cranked the motor. Cranked it a few times until it stopped spitting and replaced everything. Took a minute to start but it started :laugh: . Ran like poo but it ran. Drove it around the block. Idles around 400 rpm and has no power. Once it revs up, with full throttle, it runs ok. Barely moves with full throttle coming from a stop until RPMs climb, but it takes a bit. Ordered the IACV and replaced the coolant temp sensor. Pretty sure the IACV crapped out. Truck would barely idle before it got dunked and would die when you let off the gas. Won't be here until Tuesday though and was $140 everywhere I looked. Tried to replace it with the one from 3.3L but they are different. :angry: Guess I'll clean the interior until the part comes in. But hey it runs :jig:

I'd start checking the connectors (all of them) and the dizzy cap as well. Blow the connectors out with compressed air until dry and give the dizzy cap a shop of WD-40.

Did the ECU get wet?

B

ECU amazingly did not get wet. Water came in on the driver's side mainly. Carpet is still drying out. I cleaned out the EGR and the diverter? since I had things apart. They were completely blocked with carbon. Cleaned the butterfly in the intake as well as it was nasssty. Carpet will have to be removed and cleaned. I'm off tomorrow but have school work to do (started my Master's) and my hand is jacked up.

Went to my buddies and ran a tamper to compress the dirt for a new porch. DON'T run a tamper with no gloves. Ripped all the skin off my palm on my my right hand. Hurt like a b**ch once I realized it. Wifey wanted me to go to urgent care. Worried about infection. I was a Combat Medic still have medical supplies. Xylocaine is great lol! She was an EMT as well. So I had her clean it up better when I got home. I cut off all the ripped up skin and bandaged it with antibiotic ointment. It'll be fine :D . Hard to type though. She took a picture if anyone wants to see it lol.