VG34 Build Thread

This thread was originally posted on the Rugged Rocks forums. (April 15th, 2014) Thought id put it up on here.

Put in my order for Steven's diamond axle housing to start up my SAS but ended up blowing a head gasket so my SAS will be on hold for a bit. It's starting to get hot here in AZ so not going wheeling for a while. Thought I would use this chance to pull the motor out and get something done!

Picked up a disassembled VG33 that came with the Q45 pistons and VG30DETT rods. Let me know if you had this VG at one point...I got it from Inyourface1650. I'm sure its been passed through many members here :P I'll finish it for you guys hah!

What i'm using from my VG30
-All accessories
-Water pump
-Partial Timing covers
-Valve covers
-Oil pan
-Random miscellaneous stuff.

What i'm using from the VG33
-Crank (Using Mr.510's pulley adapter to fit my vg30 pulley)
-Oil Pump
-Pickup
-Timing gears
-Partial Timing covers
-Block
-Heads
-Anything else I find I need

Since I don't see myself ever swapping a v8 into the pathy I thought I would spend some time/money into the VG and make it worth my while since I will basically have a new motor.

Performance mods
-Doug Thorley Headers
-Euro Cams
-2.5" Exhaust
-JWT ECU at some point possibly

Here's what pictures I have at the moment.

VG33 Block
DsKCCiVl.jpg

Heads
r552w3Ml.jpg

Crank

yaiEeaIl.jpg

Box'o Parts

5WE3O9Bl.jpg

Update April 16th, 2014

Got my headers and motor mounts today! :)
8MikcQPl.jpg

JANe1AIl.jpg

Update: Motor pull - April 25th, 2014

hB4iRpyl.jpg

lKmEktil.jpg

HN0WtfIl.jpg

dFa15szl.jpg

• Like 1

Had to split this into separate posts, too many pictures :)

Update: May 8th, 2014
VG30DETT rods and VH45 pistons before I boxed them up to send to Mr.510 to have the valve reliefs cut.
FFBkUfsl.jpg
Mr.510's Crank Adapter
dq4tnHrl.jpg

Update: May 15th, 2014

Cams! (one cam pictured :P)

DeFpXRVl.jpg

Update: July 5th, 2014

Mr.510 doing work!

FfxGYOj.jpg

VG30DETT rods swapped onto the VH45 pistons. Offset alternator bracket and grounded down power steering bracket!

(Thanks for the picture Mr.510, He knew I was excited for these to be finished!)

njwb7nl.jpg

TrGKKp3l.jpg

---------------------------

Next step is dealing with the machine shop, and ordering lots of parts from the dealer!

Also..apparently there's only 1 set of VH45 OEM rings left in the US. I ordered them today so hopefully I snagged the last set..

I am very excited to see this build progress, I have read threw a vg34 build before and I seems like a very good upgrade, I even been thinking of doing up one for the samurai, many people have done the Chevy v6 yet I have came across one thread of a guy using the vg30. But i want the vw diesel more. Maybe one day...

Good luck and I'll be keeping an eye on this build!

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking into doing nearly the exact same build you are doing. It may be a slow process due to funding on my part but would like to have the long block built over the winter. If you have run into any connections for VG30DETT rods and or VH45 pistons let me know it would be a big help. But a coworker of mine has a boring bar so we can do the cylinders ourselves. Now I just need a friend with a mill to cut the valve reliefs, and a camshaft grinding setup and I will be in business. :beer:

Awesome. Next up is an Xterra supercharger, yes? (I mean, since you won't be dropping in a V8, amiright??)!

Jose

Don't get me wrong....that is tempting...

I am very excited to see this build progress, I have read threw a vg34 build before and I seems like a very good upgrade, I even been thinking of doing up one for the samurai, many people have done the Chevy v6 yet I have came across one thread of a guy using the vg30. But i want the vw diesel more. Maybe one day...

Good luck and I'll be keeping an eye on this build!

Thank you! Aiming for it to be finished within 2 weeks. One of these in a sami would be killer!

I am looking into doing nearly the exact same build you are doing. It may be a slow process due to funding on my part but would like to have the long block built over the winter. If you have run into any connections for VG30DETT rods and or VH45 pistons let me know it would be a big help. But a coworker of mine has a boring bar so we can do the cylinders ourselves. Now I just need a friend with a mill to cut the valve reliefs, and a camshaft grinding setup and I will be in business. :beer:

I was lucky enough to run into someone that had the 3.3 block, VH45 pistons, and DETT rods. I would guess you could poke around on some 300zx forums for the rods. Even ebay sometimes. Now when it comes to the pistons, they are getting harder to find used. Buying new from the dealer would cost and arm and a leg but that's what I had to do with my VH45 piston rings. Paid $340 for them....geez. If I see anything i'll let you know!

Make sure when you cut those valve reliefs that you duplicate the VG30 ones and not the VG33s

I was lucky enough to run into someone that had the 3.3 block, VH45 pistons, and DETT rods. I would guess you could poke around on some 300zx forums for the rods. Even ebay sometimes. Now when it comes to the pistons, they are getting harder to find used. Buying new from the dealer would cost and arm and a leg but that's what I had to do with my VH45 piston rings. Paid $340 for them....geez. If I see anything i'll let you know!

Make sure when you cut those valve reliefs that you duplicate the VG30 ones and not the VG33s

Yea I looked into factory pistons and rings and was shocked at the prices. In my research I found a guy who said you dont actually need to cut the valve reliefs he did it without and had no problems, cant seem to re find the thread for the life of me, but that may get into some pretty close tolerances. Also wondering if doing an M30 ECU swap to be able to run Nistune easily would be worth my money or not, would be fun either way. Excited to see how this works out for you.

Edited by snowboard419

Would you be willing to sell an old vg30 piston? I have a vg33 and am about to have a machine shop prepare the vh45 pistons but I don't have a vg30 only a vg33 as that is what came in my truck. Also, the machine shop is going to try to create the 22mm pin bushing for the larger piston pins (they have done quite a bit of custom foreign motor work) and I guess this will work. Where did you order your cams? I would be happy with VG30 cams. I have re-grinds in my VG33 and they have been very good for about 100k but I want that higher compression.

Would you be willing to sell an old vg30 piston? I have a vg33 and am about to have a machine shop prepare the vh45 pistons but I don't have a vg30 only a vg33 as that is what came in my truck. Also, the machine shop is going to try to create the 22mm pin bushing for the larger piston pins (they have done quite a bit of custom foreign motor work) and I guess this will work. Where did you order your cams? I would be happy with VG30 cams. I have re-grinds in my VG33 and they have been very good for about 100k but I want that higher compression.

I might be able to sell you one of mine, ill have to let you know once everything is sorted out :)

I ordered my cams from Automotive Customizers (4x4parts)

I just ordered a set of VG30DE pistons and rods, you can have one of the pistons if you want, all i need is the rods. but the hole for the pin is going to be the size of the vh45. the bore is the same but the compression ratio is lower. but if it would help you out its yours. just cover shipping.

I just ordered a set of VG30DE pistons and rods, you can have one of the pistons if you want, all i need is the rods. but the hole for the pin is going to be the size of the vh45. the bore is the same but the compression ratio is lower. but if it would help you out its yours. just cover shipping.

If only we could get those for a vg33 that would be a simple and awesome upgrade :)

I appreciate the offer, but I need VG30 pistons so the machine shop can duplicate the valve relief cuts in the VH45 pistons. I only have VG33 and VH45 pistons and the relief in the VG33 piston is too deep. The VG30DE was a DOHC engine so the reliefs will be nothing like what I need the machine shop to duplicate.

I don't mean to hijack but has anyone other than the 510 guy who was able to machine his own rod bushings gotten a machine shop to re-bush the VG33 rods to 22mm?

I appreciate the offer, but I need VG30 pistons so the machine shop can duplicate the valve relief cuts in the VH45 pistons. I only have VG33 and VH45 pistons and the relief in the VG33 piston is too deep. The VG30DE was a DOHC engine so the reliefs will be nothing like what I need the machine shop to duplicate.

I don't mean to hijack but has anyone other than the 510 guy who was able to machine his own rod bushings gotten a machine shop to re-bush the VG33 rods to 22mm?

I think he meant that since he is swapping in VG30DE pistons you can have one of his VG30E pistons :)

Awesome, if this is the case Snowboard pm me your email and cost so I can pay pal you some $$$ over.

Conor, updates on your build? I am really hoping this gives the extra punch needed to maintain highway speeds with my little trailer.

Awesome, if this is the case Snowboard pm me your email and cost so I can pay pal you some $$$ over.

Conor, updates on your build? I am really hoping this gives the extra punch needed to maintain highway speeds with my little trailer.

Oh i'm sure that it will be fine :) Mr.510 runs 33's on stock gearing and that's even with an auto and he pulls hard. If you have a 5 speed it will be cake.

I had to order a few more parts on Saturday that I overlooked so they should be here tomorrow most likely then more progress will come!

But yeah, not sure if Snowboard meant that, just was guessing. He did say he wanted the rods so maybe he was offering his VG30DE pistons hah! Not sure.

Edited by conor1123

oh snap this one hell of a thread. subscribed. I have a spare t25 and one side mount intercooler from a 300zx. I wonder how much boost this engine could take?

oh snap this one hell of a thread. subscribed. I have a spare t25 and one side mount intercooler from a 300zx. I wonder how much boost this engine could take?

Mr.510 said around 7-9psi with no intercooler and 12-15 with an intercooler. 15psi would probably be the limit.