Air conditioner high pressure line removal - need advice

JackStraw1

My A/C crapped out and so I took it to my mechanic and he leak tested it. Looks to be leaking where the highpressure line attaches to the condensor.

Problem is that the single bolt that attaches it is frozen royally. i have PB Blastered it and let it sit, tapped on it, etc and still no luck. I'm pretty sure if I put more torque to it, the head will twist off.

I see a couple other small bolts on the flange of the connection and loosened them and get a little separation between the flange and the condensor. I was thinkin this might be a good workaround but now I'm thinking that the flange is more likely to be welded to the condensor tubing internally and that prying apart would damage that connection.

Although I'm not sure why the bolts are there other than to maybe stabilize and reinforce the connection.

Anyone know about this?

Appreciate any advice. (Finally getting hot here in NW PA, lol)

Edited by JackStraw1

I had the same problem, the bolt that is facing the front of the truck, right? I snapped it off and had to drill it out. Tedious, but I cleaned up the threads and a new bolt threaded in fine.

The bolt is there to hold the parts together, there is an o ring in there that needs pressure on it to seal.

Yep. Right behind the grill. It holds the high pressure fitting to the condensor. I'm pretty sure it's that O-ring that's leaking.

Looks like I'd have to take the grill off to drill it out.

Did you have to re-tap it ?

Were you able to do it on the vehicle or did you have to take it all out and do it on a bench ?

I did it on the truck. Took the grille out, as I was changing the dryer at the same time (what was causing my leak). I would suggest you change all of the o-rings while you have the system open. I didn't have to re-tap it as I used a small bit and then used a larger one after. Then I was able to pry the rest out with a screwdriver. Ran a guinea pig bolt in there a few times with a little oil to smooth things out and it was done.

Crap! that's what I was afraid of. Well I guess I have my July 4th weekend project now !

Can you please tell me or show me a pic of what a guinea pig bolt is ? That's a completely new one on me.

Use an impact wrench. The way an impact works tends to unfreeze stubborn bolts (it's not just the torque). If you are going to be doing a lot of DIY on your car it's worth the investment IMO. If you don't want to buy, you may be able to rent/borrow..

• 5 weeks later...

So, I went to recharge the refrigerant & started to leak out of the foam area on the ac line that is right by the master cylinder. Thinking Tires Plus screwed something up, cause it's never leaked before. So, that being said, No pressure in the lines, so I was going to take the Lower pressure line off the parts Pathy & put on this one. Does anyone know where the pressure release valve is on the lines so I can take the pressure out of the parts Pathy? Would this be wise? Can I swap them out? I see no reason why I couldn't...

Thanks in advance for your input.

The compressor won't seize. My a/c was probably empty for 10 years before I got it (sat in a garage for years), and I replaced the dryer and the leaking line, plus all the o-rings and it works great. As for removing the charge from the parts pathy, You could loosen one of the fittings with a wrench until it starts to hiss out, but johnny law would prefer it if you take it somewhere to get evacuated (obviously not realistic with a parts truck).

Also, if you have a body lift, that line by the master cylinder tends to rub on the master cylinder after the lift and wear a hole in it. It happened to mine as well. I just bent the new one up slightly and I have no issues.