Legendary Pathfinder 70mm TB?

gv280z

VQ35 Throttle Body Adapter - run either 4th Gen TB or PFTB $109.99

Make your VQ35 swap into your 4th gen Maxima much simpler! One of the challenges with the VQ35 swap is that the motor will come with a drive by wire throttle body when the 4th Gen Maxima is drive by cable. This TB adapter plate will simplify your install by allowing you to run either your OEM 4th Gen throttle body or the legendary 70mm Pathfinder throttle. The duel bolt pattern allows you to initially install your 4th Gen TB but later upgrade to the PFTB. No need to buy two separate TB adapters! CNC Machined from aluminum.

Huh?? Anyone know what this is talking about? I thought we were always swapping up to a Maxima throttle body...???? Did the R50 use a 70mm?

Here is the link for that page that I copied this from

http://rtgengineering.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11

Edited by gv280z

I found a lot of dialogue regarding Maxima owners looking for Pathfinder TB's just by doing a google search for "Maxima throttle body for pathfinder" or something like that..

The VQ35DE in my dad's Pathy was drive by wire. It was laggy (not enough for impact driving, but it bugged me) and it spazzed out once and started snapping open and shut if you tried giving it gas. I don't consider it an upgrade over a cable throttle. Actually, if it came down to it, I'd rather own a car where I had to stick my hand out the window and work the throttle linkage with a stick than deal with that electric crap again.

Sounds like the 4th gen Maxima (which came with a VQ20 or VQ30) has a small cable-actuated throttle body, and the VQ35 (or VQ40?) comes with a larger electronic throttle body, making bolt-on VQ35-into-Maxima swaps difficult. The product described above would let you run a VQ35 with a restrictive stock throttle from a smaller motor if you didn't want to change your computer, or a proper-sized electronic throttle if you wanted to change the computer anyway.

I'd be inclined to gut the servo motor from the bigger throttle body and just swap over the linkage and the position sensor from the smaller one, but maybe that's harder than it sounds.