Anyone have a 93 FSM need some info

ahardb0dy

Anyone have a 93 FSM for truck/pathfinder, need to get some info as to testing the fuel gauge. I have a 90 FSM and the gauge cluster is different and a 94 FSM and gauge cluster is also different.

Thanks

There shouldn't be much difference between fuel tanks, to start off with I'd check the fuel sender on the tank. Rear cargo area, remove the carpet under that you'll find the fuel sender which has a bunch of wires on top of it so be careful as they might be brittle with age. Unscrew the top and carefully lift it up and out. I say be careful because there should be a foam ring around the outside so don't drop any foam bits into the tank. The fuel sender has an arm linkage which moves up and down, depending on how much fuel is in there, sending a signal to the fuel gauge. If the fuel gauge isn't reading correctly then it could be two things - a wire is loose/broken on the top part of the sender unit or it could be that the sender unit arm linkage isn't moving freely up and down as it should. I also think they have weight of some sort on that arm linkage, whether it can fall off or not I'm not sure.

thanks, this is on a hardbody pickup. I have the gauge cluster out right now I want to do the diagnostic to check the fuel gauge, I need to check from one of the pins in the cluster harness to the fuel screw on the rear of the cluster, only I need to know what pin and what screw.

Thanks

The other day my friend and I were looking up how to fix a faulty gas gauge in his Chevy, and the service manual suggested replacing major computer modules before checking the wiring. :scratchhead:

Surprising that there would be a difference from 90 to 93... maybe it's a V6 vs 4-banger thing. Is the circuitry exposed enough for you to trace the circuit from the gauge to the plug?

From what I see in the 90 FSM, it looks like there is a voltage regulator on the rear of the cluster, the one I removed from my 93 HB does not have a voltage regulator, and if I look in the 94 FSM it is the round cluster and different, that is why I'm trying to see if anyone might have a 93 FSM.

And no the traces are not marked where I can see what screw is for the fuel gauge.