Air tool setup

NIssanBoston

Hey everyone i just wanted to have some opinions on what's some good setups for air tools and what will last for a beginner DIYer like myself. i'd also to hear what everyone else has as there set up and how that's working out for you guys. I never really did anything major on my truck, but i want to learn and i figure having air tools is a great way to start, and also to learn simple mechanics.

My ideas on what to purchase are the following.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Craftsman-10-Pc-Air-Tool-Set-w-High-Torque-Wrench-Air-Hammer-Auto-Mechanic-/251490573041?hash=item3a8e019af1&item=251490573041&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

and this compressor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-HP-21-Gal-125-PSI-Cast-Iron-Vertical-Air-Compressor-/161135067781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2584660285

Thanks everyone again.

Both of those look adequate to me, you're also going to need impact sockets, a torque wrench, a socket and ratchet set, a volt meter, some jack stands, a C-clamp and I'd also look into a corded saws-all. I don't really trust all the new lithium 18v cordless stuff out there..I know how battery charge capacity can degrade and you don't really get the level of performance you're expecting. My own setup is pretty much about the same as what your looking at. Also will need a good 2.5 ton floor jack to get er up.

With the items I named here you can do a lot of work like oil changes (easiest thing you'll do) and brake pads (c-clamp), shocks, change out wheels / tire or do a rotation (jack stands), change spark plugs, and a whole crap load more that I'm missing. Hell if you have a work space and electricity you could open yourself a little shop with this equipment and start doing all your friends work, make some extra bucks on the side.

Both of those look adequate to me, you're also going to need impact sockets, a torque wrench, a socket and ratchet set, a volt meter, some jack stands, a C-clamp and I'd also look into a corded saws-all. I don't really trust all the new lithium 18v cordless stuff out there..I know how battery charge capacity can degrade and you don't really get the level of performance you're expecting. My own setup is pretty much about the same as what your looking at. Also will need a good 2.5 ton floor jack to get er up.

With the items I named here you can do a lot of work like oil changes (easiest thing you'll do) and brake pads (c-clamp), shocks, change out wheels / tire or do a rotation (jack stands), change spark plugs, and a whole crap load more that I'm missing. Hell if you have a work space and electricity you could open yourself a little shop with this equipment and start doing all your friends work, make some extra bucks on the side.

Thats exactly what i want to do, eventually open up my own shop, i need to support my 14 month old baby and my wife, working at a peanut butter factory isnt cutting it . I want to career in automechanics, currently looking at schools right now to attend. Yeah i definitly still have to purchase jack stands still and the air tool socket set :P . Tight on money though so thats why i want to get good quality stuff but at a good price. Thanks for your input!

I like the little kit/blow molded case for the pneumatic tools (keep everything in one place so things don't get lost), but it doesn't look like they will fit once you put the quick disconnect fittings on them (other than the rachet). That isn't good, you don't want to be constantly installing/removing them, that is a pointless waste of time.

Almost all tools have a working pressure rating, CFM air consumption rate, RPM/BPM and torque amount. Some info on the air ratchet (the most useful item) but no info on the others. I'd want to know more...

Same with the compressor. All things being equal that has sufficient HP and storage to drive air tools without issue, but they don't list the CFM of the compressor and that is what it is all about!

In all honesty, I hardly ever work with air tools at home. By the time I pull out the compressor, fire it up, fill the tank, pull out the air tools, and get going, I could have already been done with a manual ratchet. Then there is the noise... I've worked in machine shops for 20 years and have grown to really dislike the sound of compressors. While air tools are handy for big projects and shops, I find I really don't need them for 95% of what I do, and I'll pull motors, trannies, etc. Hand tools first is my opinion.

B

I like the little kit/blow molded case for the pneumatic tools (keep everything in one place so things don't get lost), but it doesn't look like they will fit once you put the quick disconnect fittings on them (other than the rachet). That isn't good, you don't want to be constantly installing/removing them, that is a pointless waste of time.

Almost all tools have a working pressure rating, CFM air consumption rate, RPM/BPM and torque amount. Some info on the air ratchet (the most useful item) but no info on the others. I'd want to know more...

Same with the compressor. All things being equal that has sufficient HP and storage to drive air tools without issue, but they don't list the CFM of the compressor and that is what it is all about!

In all honesty, I hardly ever work with air tools at home. By the time I pull out the compressor, fire it up, fill the tank, pull out the air tools, and get going, I could have already been done with a manual ratchet. Then there is the noise... I've worked in machine shops for 20 years and have grown to really dislike the sound of compressors. While air tools are handy for big projects and shops, I find I really don't need them for 95% of what I do, and I'll pull motors, trannies, etc. Hand tools first is my opinion.

B

Yeah i was thinking that same thing, maybe it'd be a better experience for me if i just use hand tools, also less costly aswell. Got any ideas precise on a good quality mechanics set? I'll probably maybe purchase a air tool set when i get better experience and a shop lol, It'd also save me a lot of money as of now aswell .

Edited by NIssanBoston

I bought a full set of Dewalt 18 volt hand tools (circ saw, impact driver, drill, sawz-all, angle grinder) 3 years ago when I bought a house, and I don't know how I lived without them for so long! I'm still using the same 2 batteries the kit came with and lithium ion batteries do not have a memory or degrade anything like the old batteries did. I plan on buying a 1/2 inch impact gun and would rather have that than a pneumatic one. http://www.sears.com/dewalt-tools-18-v-impact-wrench/p-00934310000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00934310000&kispla=00934310000P

Thats exactly what i want to do, eventually open up my own shop, i need to support my 14 month old baby and my wife, working at a peanut butter factory isnt cutting it . I want to career in automechanics, currently looking at schools right now to attend. Yeah i definitly still have to purchase jack stands still and the air tool socket set :P . Tight on money though so thats why i want to get good quality stuff but at a good price. Thanks for your input!

Well, if that is what you want to do, you will want that stuff eventually but I recommend just hand tools at first, and let the work you do pay for the additional equipment. I know, I started a machine shop that way...

One tip, build an enclosure outside for the comprssor and just wire/plumb it from there. You'll thank me for it!

B

Yeah i was thinking that same thing, maybe it'd be a better experience for me if i just use hand tools, also less costly aswell. Got any ideas precise on a good quality mechanics set? I'll probably maybe purchase a air tool set when i get better experience and a shop lol, It'd also save me a lot of money as of now aswell .

Anything with a lifetime warranty that has a store near by. Most of my stuff is Craftsman because bang for buck, it seems to be just fine and there is always a Sears nearby. I've only broken a few tools in my life, but it can be dangerous when they fail. Best to stay away from the cheap crap.

The only exception to this is perhaps things like ratchets and gear wrenches, it might be worth investing in something quality that works smoothly and feels comfortable. Get a breaker bar assortment so you don't use the ratchet for that kind of work, get plenty of extensions, universals and attachments, standard and deep dish sockets in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive and put them on bars in order so you don't lose them and you have a whole set at hand.

I probably use a ratchet for 75% of things and my favorite is a Craftsman 1/2" drive patented in 1971 that someone was throwing out and i just cleaned and rebuilt. Often old tools are the best and just need some love. Always check out the bins at garage sales, etc. You never know what gems you can find... ;)

B

I was just actually at sears earlier today, and i was looking into craftsman and husky tool sets i think i might go with craftsman , little more costly but they will last and won't break like you said, yeah i'm definitly looking into breaker bars ext and universals for all my car maintence needs , They have a flea market over here and i bought a big tote of tools for 20 dollars so those had some old goodies . Definitly think i'm going to go there once in a while to check to see if any new tools are up for grabs :P Thanks for all the info precise!

Anything with a lifetime warranty that has a store near by. Most of my stuff is Craftsman because bang for buck, it seems to be just fine and there is always a Sears nearby. I've only broken a few tools in my life, but it can be dangerous when they fail. Best to stay away from the cheap crap.

The only exception to this is perhaps things like ratchets and gear wrenches, it might be worth investing in something quality that works smoothly and feels comfortable. Get a breaker bar assortment so you don't use the ratchet for that kind of work, get plenty of extensions, universals and attachments, standard and deep dish sockets in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive and put them on bars in order so you don't lose them and you have a whole set at hand.

I probably use a ratchet for 75% of things and my favorite is a Craftsman 1/2" drive patented in 1971 that someone was throwing out and i just cleaned and rebuilt. Often old tools are the best and just need some love. Always check out the bins at garage sales, etc. You never know what gems you can find... ;)

B

This is none of my business but whatever you've got going right now at the peanut butter factory is better for supporting your family than branching out on your own as an inexperienced mechanic. It's cool to learn but I'm afraid you'll loose your ass trying to go this route. Keep your nose to the grind stone....times are tough and making enough money to support a family as a mechanic isn't like what it used to be. You're much better off laboring for a major company with some kind of job security and benefits..

• Like 1

I'm a mechanic and I started out with a small box of husky tools which I recommend being that I still have and use the ratchets and sockets even after hammering on them, I bought them 7 years ago, I've had good luck with harbor freight impact sockets, the majority of my air tools are matco, and the rest of my tools are snap on, I wouldn't cheap out on air, electric, or torque tools since you want those to last and be accurate, also you don't want an air compressor inside unless you want your hearing to go

I'll detail my experience as I put together an air tool setup about a year ago for rebuilding my Pathfinder.

The first thing I looked at was NOISE. I wanted something "quiet". 2 reasons:

#1) I didn't want to piss off my neighbors

#2) Many/most? air tools and compressors operate in the hearing loss range > 85dB with long term exposure and my compressor was going to be in my work area (garage)

Second thing I looked at was what tools I was going to use. Once you know what tools you want, then you can get the CFM requirements for your compressor. In my case, I determined I could get most tools I wanted operating at <= 5 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Third thing was POWER. A ~5 CFM compressor will pretty much suck all the power on a 15 AMP circuit. So nothing else could be on that circuit.

Lastly, I looked at convenience. I wanted an oilless compressor as I didn't want to have to deal with removing oil from the lines when using the compressor for painting, etc. Dealing with moisture is enough for me. Having oil blown all over the place would be a disaster and those cheap oil/water separators found online are just that - cheap crap.

What I ended up buying was mostly Aircat brand air tools - they are all whisper quiet compared to the rest (< 85dB) and while not cheap - they are I believe reasonably priced.

For a compressor, I ended up with a Dewalt D55168 (5 CFM @ 90 PSI and 78dB noise) also reasonably priced for what you get.

I've been happy with the setup - never had any issues and it's been used nearly every day.

That being said, I eventually ended up ALSO buying a Dewalt cordless impact wrench. why!? The pick and pull! It weights less than carrying around the equivalent in breaker bars and wrenches and I can strip a car in no time (important when it's 100+ degrees outside!)

I agree with what Precise has said, as far as hand tools. I have a compressor ( installed in my shed at the back of the house with 1/2" schedule 80 PVC run to the front) and I have some air tools, I still have my IR 231 impact gun from back when I used to work in a shop, top quality tool but more than that whole kit you linked too.

The only time I use it now a days is when I absolutely can't get a nut off by hand, or in a situation where I can't get my 1/2" breaker bar in the area I need to work on. If I'm doing brakes on someones vehicle and I know I have a bunch of lugs to remove I may use it just to save time, always double check the lug nuts by hand after tightening them with an impact gun ( using a torque wrench would be the proper way).

You will most likely be better off with a decent set of hand tools, Sears has sales all the time so lots of bargains do come up, craftsman may not be as good as in the "old days" but they still have a lifetime warranty, they still replace broken tools and there are Sears stores everywhere.

I would put jack stands close to the top of your list of things to buy, safety always first !

As far as air tools, air grinders use the most air, so if you plan on purchasing one, or any tool make sure what ever tool uses the most CFM that the compressor you choose can handle that tool.

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with others, air tools are cool but should not be priority. Get a decent set of hand tools and a long breaker bar set. I'm full time mechanic but only time I've used air tools on pathy is changing tires and adjusting tortion bar. Spend money on quality click style torque wrench! 2 things you need to know about maintaining a torque wrench. First, always dial it back down to "0" before putting away. Second never EVER use torque wrench to loosen bolts. Using a torque wrench in reverse messes up its calibration and will no longer be getting proper torque.