Warped Rotor?

linewar

I have something weird going on with the front end in the R50. I've thought I have a warped front driver's side brake rotor for a while, because of speed-sensitive vibration when braking. (pulsations slow as the vehicle slows) The weird thing is, it sort of comes and goes. Some times I drive the vehicle and it is disturbingly severe, and sometimes it is very minimal.

Obviously, I know I need to replace the rotor, but I'm putting it off as long as I feel I can because there are SO MANY other components in the front end I might as well replace if I'm taking the rotor off. (Suspension, probably tie rod ends, likely ball joints, bushings, front CV axles. . . the thing is almost 20 years old) At this point, my mechanical curiosity is what is really piqued - why would this come and go?

Worth a read - http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

"..even if the brakes are properly broken, if, when they are very hot or following a single long stop from high speed, the brakes are kept applied after the vehicle comes to a complete stop it is possible to leave a telltale deposit.."

Essentially, it's more likely to be pad transfer than warped discs.

Edited by 3rdtimesacharm

^Interesting article!

'Warped' disks are really easy to check. All you need is an indicator and a stand, preferably magnetic. You put the indicator on the face of the rotor, zero it, spin the rotor and get your readings. Clocking it and checking the back side can tell you a lot as well. If you want to get tricky, you mic several different spots around the diameter as well. Do you feel the vibration in the brake pedal (does it pulse) or does the whole car shake?

One thing people often forget to consider is the CV axles, they can bind a bit as they age, sometimes under load, sometimes without. I believe you still have the drive flanged on your Pathy; if you plan to keep it, one of the best upgrades you can do is to put on manual locking hubs. You lose the shift on the fly ability (unless you locked the hubs first) but you should notice a slight gain in response/power and gas mileage because the front CVs won't be spinning all the time. This also means the CVs won't wear...

B

I feel the vibration in the brake pedal, and the front end shakes as I'm braking. As the vehicle slows, it lessens, to where as I'm drawing to a stop it drags ever so slightly per revolution of the wheels. It seems to be primarily in the front left.

Could this be a bad/ worn tie rod end or ball joint? I noticed when I picked the truck up from my mother-in-law, she obviously had not had the tires rotated, and it was almost undriveable. The front driver's side was very badly worn and worn very unevenly. I get a picture in my mind that, as the brakes are applied, the front left wheel "shakes," or rotates on it's vertical axis, and that may be what I'm feeling. I guess a tire rotation could prove or disprove that theory. . . .

If the brake pedal pulses, then it is an uneven rotor, nothing else will really do that. This can also shake the front of the car depending on the severity, but also having loose components (bushings, bearings, ball joints, etc) can compound the issue as well. Since you have the day off, I highly recommend jacking it up, removing the wheel and doing a visual/mechanical inspection for anything worn, damaged or loose.

B

Worth a read - http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

"..even if the brakes are properly broken, if, when they are very hot or following a single long stop from high speed, the brakes are kept applied after the vehicle comes to a complete stop it is possible to leave a telltale deposit.."

Essentially, it's more likely to be pad transfer than warped discs.

This ^^^^

If you take off the wheel and give th rotor a good look over, you will actually see where it is too, usually in the shape of the brake pad...I just sanded it off on my friend's mazda 3 and he said it feels pretty smooth again.