SE vs. LE

I am trying to figure out which I have. Salvage yards want to know for parts. Some things I read said leather means LE but it seems like it is an option on the SEs also. I have leather, 4wd, power sunroof, does this mean it is an LE and I look for what they call non-SE parts?

Thanks

LE the 4x4 would be a dial on the dash. SE 4x4 is a manual transfer case shifter. Leather was an option on my 2001 SE. As well as the sunroof.

AFAIK the only time something won't fit from another trim is if yours doesn't have it to start (such as a sunroof), or some of the body pieces from a facelifted R50 going onto an early R50 (or vice versa).

build dates can be tricky, I have a 2000 face lift. but build date is december 99. It is supposed to be an SE but I have LSD, cruise, AC, power windows/door locks, but cloth interior, no sun roof, no adjustable or heated seats.

It really doesn't matter that much for most parts.

where would that info be? Door panel? that one says stock tires are 245/7016

Not sure about the relationship between tire sizes and XE/SE/LE designations in post-face-lift pathfinders, but pre-face-lift pathfinders had 235/70/15 on XE's and LE's and 265/70/15 on SE's. The axle gear ratio is stamped inside the engine bay on the passenger side of the firewall (either HG43 or HG46).

i have a Le and my 4x4 lever is on the floor not a dial on the dash and the only difference iv noticed between le and se is that most se's are manual while most le's are auto and most les have power everything and leather i went to my local jy looking for parts for my camaro but had to check out the new pathy they had :laugh: it was a 1997 se and the only difference i seen with out tearing into it is it had: 1 cloth 2 manual trans 3 non wood trim 4 no outside door trim 4 had fender flares

Chances are it was different from the US to Canada, we did have the Chilkoot edition which was essentially XE but a couple thousand cheaper.

In Canada the order goes XE (base model), SE (sports edition), Chilkoot(SE with exta options), LE (luxery edition). My Chilkoot was over $33,000 in '98.

Sorry, I got that wrong. In 1998 Canada the prices were XE $35,900, SE $40,200, Chilkoot $43,300 and LE $44,300.

Sheesh, i thought my 96 was expensive, that's ridiculous.. Offtourroadie and i have the exact same specs (aside from color). Here is his build sheet.

01bc78dc.jpg

But then again, 30K today is $45,579!!! DANG!!!

-Kyle

Glad you posted that. A lot of things people consider "options" were just standard equipment. Plus I like the "ultimate outdoor adventure vehicle" part. I like that better than SUV.

Edited by kdj

Sorry, I got that wrong. In 1998 Canada the prices were XE $35,900, SE $40,200, Chilkoot $43,300 and LE $44,300.

Weird, everywhere I looked for info on the Chilkoot edition had it listed as cheaper than XE with similar equipment. Edited by lerch641

Glad you posted that. A lot of things people consider "options" were just standard equipment. Plus I like the "ultimate outdoor adventure vehicle" part. I like that better than SUV.

I actaully haven't looked at it close enough, offtourroadie and I are not EXACT as i had previously thought. i have leather heated seats, not fabric, plus it make no mention of the swing away spare on there, must be assumed as part of the off road package...

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

I remember reading also that SEs post facelift vary in width slightly, when compared to LEs. If I'm not mistaken, this is because of the larger tires of the SE? Somehow the track changed, and I assume that's the reason. It would be silly, but interesting to make the "Sports Edition" wider other than tire size. :D

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1

The manual for my '98 has the SE listed as having a .8" wider track width and 3.7" wider overall width than the XE and LE. Wider tire plus fender flares.

I remember reading also that SEs post facelift vary in width slightly, when compared to LEs. If I'm not mistaken, this is because of the larger tires of the SE? Somehow the track changed, and I assume that's the reason. It would be silly, but interesting to make the "Sports Edition" wider other than tire size. :D

Yeah, same for us. I put SE-size tires on my XE, and they rub on the subframe.

The manual for my '98 has the SE listed as having a .8" wider track width and 3.7" wider overall width than the XE and LE. Wider tire plus fender flares.

IIRC the power steering rack is different. I have a preface lift Infinity QX4 rack on my 99.5 LE that works like new.