Suspension

Jarrod90p

Hey Jarrod, nice to meet you. For our WD21 series trucks, like yours and mine on up to 1995, your options are kinda limited. You can replace worn shocks all the way around, and in the rear you can get about 2 inches of lift from using (what most people on here do) a set of Jeep Grand Cherokee springs, or you can try a set of coil spring boosters which happens to be the way I'm going eventually.

But in the front, it's pretty much just a torsion bar crank and an upgrade set of upper control arms from one of the offroad shops or websites. But the beauty of our trucks is you really don't need any of that to be able to do some pretty hair raising offroading and mudding as your truck sits right now. I've had mine for 3 years and have had a lot of fun with it offroad, climbing dirt hills, mudding, trail riding and just cruising and the only mod I've made is a set of 31" offroad all terrain tires and I'm quite proud of my truck, but most of all I believe in my truck. I know my ride has got my back. And guess what, it's bone stock.

This WD21 Nissan Pathfinder you've got isn't like the other big tire lifted goofy redneck trucks you see on the road, it's in a class by itself. Take some time to get to know your truck, try out the 4 wheel offroad and notice how the front end feels a little heavier and tighter when you shift into 4 hi on the transfer and then head for a muddy trail and have some fun...trust me.

• Like 2

Welcome Jarrod! And well stated gv. With just a couple of steering upgrades to fix the "weak links" (pardon the pun)the WD21 does quite well bone stock. I cant put my finger on it, but there seems to be a character to these machines that people fall in love with, I know I did. If you are going to do easy wheeling you will probably be fine just the way she sits. If you go with a lift, bigger tires, or like to hit things hard the first upgrades I would do are a better center link and an idler arm brace.

Have fun with your new family member and....

POST PICS!!!!!

They are 'The Little Engine That Could" personified... ;)

Welcome Jarrod! You have a few options available to beef up your ride without being excessive or expensive. I highly recommend you take a look around, search subjects and look in the Member's Rides section for ideas on what is possible.

B

Don't let people tell you Nissan are a pos because there wrong and they have there head you you now where lol. You will love Your Pathy as long as you replace the parts that need it. I have a stock 87 pathy and I wheel the world out of it and it out wheels a stock wrangler. Welcome and I hope we can hope you with what you need :welcome:

P.S. The cheapest shocks I found for the Pathy are Calmini for 198.00 for all 4 and that's with shopping. But mine have been on back order for 3 weeks and I'm still looking at another 2 weeks or so before I see them :headwall:. There is nothing really cheap about a Nissan so shop before you buy so you get the best deals for the money. Look at 4x4parts.com for some ok deals to save move. If your just hitting the trails you wont need a idler arm brace. But if you want to wheel hard get one worth the 20 to 40 bucks with out braking off the idler arm

A decent set of second hand A/T tires would be a good starting point for an upgrade. Headlight harness mod is good stuff too.. seeing things is seriously under rated.

Fresh brake fluid, for stopping when you've seen something. :aok:

• Like 1

Over rated, unless you tow in the mountains a lot. 2/3 of the braking ability comes from up front so rear drums do the trick as long as they are in good shape and properly adjusted.

Seems like a lot of work and expense for little gain in my book. :shrug:

A decent set of second hand A/T tires would be a good starting point for an upgrade. Headlight harness mod is good stuff too.. seeing things is seriously under rated.

Very good point. Tossing a few extra lights on it is a good idea too, be them el cheapos or nice LEDs. (don't count on el cheapos lasting as long or doing as good a job though)

B

I had another pathy with everything I needed for the disk brake swap. Only 100 bucks for the whole pathy so it was worth every cent lol and for stopping it's a lot better then the drums. You are right if you dont have the money then don't do this not much gain but still fun the do

i decided im going to replace the shocks all around with tokico trek-masters and get new coil springs for the rear as well as replacing worn bushings.