Broke My Timing Belt

Arthur92XE

My '92 Pathfinder XE 200,000 miles broke a timing belt. I took it to a shop and they said it is a major job (like I expected) but my question is.. Has anyone have had any experience in this situation where they decided to have the engine repaired, how much damage did it cause and how much did it cost for labor and parts. Reason I'm asking is a mechanic wants to install a supposibly new engine kit and estimating around 20 hours labor. So the rough estimate is about $5,000. I'm deciding to maybe have the engine repaired instead of being replaced, That possible could save me a few$ beacause i'm planning to trade it in early next year. Anyway, any creative feedback and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :wacko:

If you're trading it in soon anyway, I'd put a used engine in it. Check one of those places that import low mileage used japanese engines and transmissions. If you have one locally, they'll usually install it pretty cheap. If not, I think you could still get it bought, shipped and installed for less than $five large. A junkyard engine will prolly run you under $700.

Good luck.

Has the mech torn into it yet ? If not, how can he justify 5 large for a rebuild ? Tough to diagnose damages when you can't see them ~ to a certain extent anyway. If you got it shut down right away when it broke, it's possible that you kept internal damage to a minimum. I know valve & head damage is a distinct possibility when the belt lets go, something about Nissans being "non-dedicated" or something like that. The valvetrain doesn't float "free" of input when a belt jumps or breaks, causing major problems. P...

I'd go along the way jj suggested... the Japanese pull-outs usually have under 30k miles on them. You could probably pick one up & have it installed for 1500-2000, depending on different things of course. Beats 5 large any day. :contract:

Be hard to recoup your investment, but a new motor would be a point in your favor when you go to sell it. If none are available locally, you might try these guys for one out of a wreck:

Nissan Only Wrecking

Good luck no matter which way you choose... :beer:

BTW, I had mine "jump" a couple of cogs while on vacation, just outside Searchlight, Nv. about 6 years ago. Ended up having to have it put on the back of a truck & hauled to the stealer in Henderson. Got lucky as to no "big" damage ~ but it was still the better part of $1k to get back on the road, $200 of that being the truck ride... new belt, retime it, etc. They had me by the shorthairs, ya know? What can you do on the side of the road in BFE? :furious:

Edited by hardwaretoad

As said by jj, since you are planning to trade it in, look for a used engine. See if you can find one locally. Check out the local papers and see if anyone is parting out a Pathy. Even some junkyards have engines they have pulled that would work. This would get you moving again for quite a bit less $$$.

Ok..

I broke my timing belt several years ago.

Damage = 6 bent valves. 3 intake 3 exhaust.

I changes the 6 bent valves. (darn expnsive too exhust were like 20 bucks each and intake were similar) I ground all my valve seats, i match grinded my all my valves, new and old. Changed valve seals.. all necessay gaskets.. ext.

I did ALL of the work myself and it cost 400 bucks.

Total time was about.. 10-12 hours of work.

If the mechanic is charging you 5000, he's totally ripping you off, that means he is charging you at least 300 bucks per hour. But i do know that if you take your rig in to get the timing belt changed they will try to charge you 800. when the timing belt is only 20 bucks.

Its not that hard to do it yourself.

I got a used engine that had been in a rear-ended pathy. The motor still ran and teh yard pulled it and loaded it in the back of a pickup for me (I knew I'd have a use for that old tire I had laying in the garage :) ) for a little over 700. Did the swap myself but I figure I could do a lot of cussin for the amount I saved not having a shop do the work.

Depending on your location, your Pathy is not worth $5K total. Here in northern Ohio a good 92 with that mileage will sell for at most $2500.

I agree with everyone else that a used engine is the way to go. $700 to $900 for a used motor is about right. I have found them as low as $500. On the other hand here in northern Ohio you can pick up a frame rusted 94 or 95 for $500 and have all the parts you every want.

The big decision is who is doing the work. if you are replacing the motor that go do it. If you are paying for the motor to be replaced, you are looking at between 15 to 20 hours. At $65 per hour thats $1300 in labor. Plus the used motor now you are at $2K. Yes cheaper than $5K. But here is an idea. Sell the pathy as is for between $900 and $1100 to someone who will replace the motor themselves. If you can follow my logic this is like getting $3100 for the truck on a trade. Now I know that some guys on the forum may not agree, but if you are a driver not a gearhead this maybe the best choice.

For the record. My son completely rebuilt a VG30E motor- bored out, new pistons, rings, bearing, oil pump, rebuilt heads, new gaskets, polished crank, new timing belt, turbo exhaust studs, etc - and the parts cost was $625. The motor is sitting in my garage waiting for spring to put it into my 91 pathy.