Starting problem, followed by 30 seconds of oily exhaust smoke, then fine

BlackkPath01

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this kind of issue with their Pathfinder (mine is a 2001 SE 6-cyl)

> Went to start PF after it had been sitting for about 36 hours without running, outside temp around 45F, light rain kind of day

> Engine turned over and very briefly started running (like for maybe at most 1/2 second) and then stopped abruptly

> Engine then wouldn't start - would turn over with starter motor but no signs of any cylinders firing - no odd noises coming from engine, just nothing except starter motor turning over - repeatedly tried starting engine over about a 2 minute period, for about 10 seconds on each attempt - nothing happening

> Left engine/vehicle just sit for 3 or 4 minutes without trying to start it (looked under hood for anything unusual - nothing)

> Tried starting engine again, and it started! ---> however for about 30 seconds some black (presumably oily) smoke came out of exhaust

> Then everything seemed fine - engine ran fine, would restart without any problems, check-engine light off, drove it about 15 km, no issues whatsoever and no unusual exhaust smoke

So I'm happy this issue seems to have resolved itself, but now I'm left wondering when/if the problem is going to return stranding me in the middle of no-where someday soon.

Any ideas what could have caused this brief malfunction?

Thanks.

What kind of spark plugs do you have in it? How many miles on your rig? Sounds like fuel is not being burned off and could soaking the cylinders. Next time this happens, put it in clear flood mode by putting the gas pedal to the floor and crank it over. Do not let off until the engine revs up. I assume it's a 3.5l, so plugs need to be changed at 105k. Be sure to put in NGK plugs!

Just for the sake of knowledge!

Exhaust color decoder:

Black = fuel

Blue = oil

White = water/condensation

White+sweet smell = antifreeze

45F doesn't sound like it should have been too cold to make anything(injectors) stick open, but could be likely?

Thanks for the responses ... have to agree it has most of the tell-tale signs of flooding; but I was under the perhaps wrong impression that this was next to impossible on a fuel injected computer controlled vehicle. I definitely wasn't "pumping" the gas petal during the starting attempts.

Some additional info as requested in comments :

> current mileage 188000km (112800 miles)

> sparkplugs were indeed replaced with new ones in July 2012 at 167000km (almost exactly 100000 miles) with NGK PLFR5A_11 (Platinium tip) plugs and haven't had any issues between when they were replaced and now (the current issue today [28_Mar_2014] not-with-standing)

> unfortunately I didn't pay that much attention to the exhaust smoke color ... I said black but it was probably more black-blue_ish ... definitely not white_ish

> started PF again late tonight and it started without issues or any exhaust smoke ... mmmh

As a side note, this 2001 Pathfinder has from day 1 always been a bit qwerky when starting. If it starts on the first turn of the ignition switch then it has always started normally and "bursts" up to a fast-cold-idle almost instantly. (Issues today were the exception.) However if it doesn't start on the first turn of the ignition then it would be more difficult to start, with several seconds of starter motor required and then it would slowly tentatively rev_up into a full cold-idle with some help from pushing a bit on the gas pedal. I either read or was told (many years ago) that this was 'normal' for these engines - I forget now what the technical explantion was.

I'll see how things go for the next few days/weeks and update this blog later with any additional details.

As a professional, I have seen too many Nissans belch blue smoke from being flooded. Your mostly right with the colors, but not always.

Well I can see how this could happen. It makes sense, in my head anyway, that if the cylinder was flooded with fuel and fuel leaks past the rings, that fluid transfer could happen. As the fuel is leaking past the rings, that has opened a "passageway" for oil to get through as well.

But I could be wrong.. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Your fuel pressure regulator is wonkey or leaking slightly. A HUGELY WILD GUESS......honestly ....i dont know unless you have an injector that is partially obstructed or something..../shrug.

interesting problem tho.

have a good one

P

Update : 2 weeks later

No further issues - no repeat of problem. (Well yet anyway)

fixinto respone : Interesting theory, I'll look into that a bit more. I considered fuel injectors but unless they all got stuck open simultaneously (highly improbable I think) the engine still would of started or at least sputtered or ran rough for a bit. Fuel pressure regulator providing an over-pressure scenario is a least consistent with the symptoms - flooding in all cylinders, no ignition whatsoever, smoke out exhaust from fuel residue being burned off when engine finally did start. .... The saga continues ...

• 2 weeks later...