Upper Control Arm bolt stripper out

having the worst week possible....

i went to check my truck out because she had a HORRIBLE right wheel lean. (Thought it was a ball joint) and i look underneath... im missing a damn uca bolt. it must have come loose and ripped right off!

anyways the hole is stripped... whats the easiest/safest way to fix this?!? was going to tru

y to drill the tap the frame to make my own threads for a grade 8 5/8" bolt.. its the largest bolt that i could fit into the upper control arm itself... HELP PLEASE?!!'

^agreed, not to mention it will actually be stronger with a helicoil, thread-cert or whatever you use. Do not despair, it isn't that bad of a fix and at least you caught it before the damn wheel fell off.

You might want to check the condition of the other threads as well, along with checking the torque of the other side.

B

^agreed, not to mention it will actually be stronger with a helicoil, thread-cert or whatever you use. Do not despair, it isn't that bad of a fix and at least you caught it before the damn wheel fell off.

You might want to check the condition of the other threads as well, along with checking the torque of the other side.

B

funny you said check the other side... first thing i did haha. and what is this helicoil? and where can i get one...? i plan on doing it saturday its going to be 50degrees!! better than the 19 degrees we had yesterday! haha

A helicoil is a coil of stainless metal that effectively has threads in the inside and outside and are thread/pitch specific. What you do is drill out the hole a bit larger, tap it with a helicoil tap (oversized) and then screw the helicoil into the threaded hole until it is flush or recessed to the top of the hole. They form very strong threads and are (were anyway) Mil-spec. They are thread specific so you need to know the exact thread diameter and pitch of what you are repairing. I want to say the threads are M12x1.75 or M14x1.75 but this needs to be verified. Here is an example of helicoils...

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/00068387

Here are examples of other types of threaded inserts...

http://www.mscdirect.com/products/thread-insert?rdrct=threaded%20insert

Go to your biggest/best automotive store (or hardware store if that fails) and go in asking for the specific thread size helicoil, thread saver, threadcert, etc (just brand names) and see what they have, as long as it can be made flush or recessed into the hole, it will work.

In all honesty, if you aren't used to drilling/tapping holes or don't feel confident, you might want to take the vehicle and supplies somewhere and have it professionally installed. A proper repair should last forever, but a bungled one will cause bigger problems.

B

• Like 1

having the worst week possible....

i went to check my truck out because she had a HORRIBLE right wheel lean. (Thought it was a ball joint) and i look underneath... im missing a damn uca bolt. it must have come loose and ripped right off!

anyways the hole is stripped... whats the easiest/safest way to fix this?!? was going to tru

y to drill the tap the frame to make my own threads for a grade 8 5/8" bolt.. its the largest bolt that i could fit into the upper control arm itself... HELP PLEASE?!!'

Is this one of the bolts that holds the ball joint to the UCA, the camber bolts to the spindle, or the spindle itself for the UCA?

Edited by Alkorahil

Is this one of the bolts that holds the ball joint to the UCA, the camper bolts to the spindle, or the spindle itself for the UCA?

sorry i should have said that haha. its the bold that goes through the control arm spindle into the frame. bolts the whole uca to the frame Edited by 93_ditchfindah

And sometimes the lift components need more shims to be aligned properly, thereby needing a longer bolt for full thread engagement, 30mm length IIRC, but I'd verify that.

B