91 manual fluid

91pathfiner

i bought a used manual tranny and i want to put a fresh batch of gear oil in it. its for a 91 4x4 how much will i need for both the tranny and transfer case? i believe its 75w-90 is what is recommended is that correct? its just so stinking expensive i don't want to buy the wrong type or to much.

• 2 weeks later...

your best bet is to go with redline mt-90 MAKE SURE IT IS A GL-4 fluid tho. the gl-5 has addatives that eat away at the brass synchros in our transmissions. i believe they had a TSB for the tranny fluid level to be at 5.3? anybody else know exact level? and i dont know how much transfer case contains

I believe it's got to be 5.1 litres and you have to fill up past the side top up plug. To do this you have to fill it through the gear selector. You have to take your gear shifter off, then there's a C clip you take off with needle nose pliers. I don't know what you have to do after that though.

3.6 was the original level. A later technical service bulletin from Nissan states that the fluid amount is revised to 5.1 litres to help with bearing starvation

Edited by Nefarious