steering box and rear axle seal how to please

Nissanland

I have been searching for information all night on these two items, the alignment shop says that the steering box was going out, but I've read something about it was adjustable, but just can't find the information.

The other problem found during the alignment/brake flushing, adjusting is the rear axle seal on the right is said to be leaking, I haven't yet been able to jack up truck and inspect thoroughly, just a quick visual look at what looks to me like brake fluid on the axle. Again I can't find anything written up on the seal replacement. I really don't have the time or patience for a major takedown. I would really appreciate any good write-up with pictures if possible. Just when I thought I would be able to get a chance to enjoy this truck....:(

The steering box is adjustable. Just be very careful when doing it. Here is more info on that:

http://beergarage.com/PathSteerGear.aspx

The rear axle seal, there are two of them, one you just need to unbolt the axle shaft and slide it out, to access the seal, the other one is the grease seal and I think you need to mess with the rear bearings to do that one.

You can get some adjustment out of the steering box. On the top there is a set screw with a sloted top secured by a lock nut, 17 or 19mm IIRC. make a clocking mark, loosen the lock nut, turn the set screw gently clockwise 1/16th-1/4 rotation, then lock with the nut (the locking nut will rotate the set screw so plan for it). Only do this adjustment with the tires pointing straight, it seems to make a difference. Test drive and make sure the steering doesn't feel too tight. You can back it off a little if needed but make sure not to smash the worm gear...

As for the seal, someone else just replaced theirs. I have to do mine as well, but don't have any first hand knowledge.

RA-5 has the exploded view and proceedure for disassembly...

B

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I have to say thank you guy's, the steering box adjustment worked just as you said, now it's nice a tight, truck is driving almost as good as the Titans steering. Now I still have to see if I have a bad wheel seal, however our rental property is taking lead, roof is leaking around the fireplace and renters say it's leaking into the garage. I can't wait for Sun to come out....