Vibration/wobble?

RF600

I had a chance to talk with the guy who did the alignment the things I have talked about the things I mentioned here. He thinks it is drive train related.

I don't know where should I look first. Or what I should look for.

Normally I would agree with him, but...

I have pulled the axles and looked to see the retainers came lose, they were fine.

Replaced the u joints in the rear driveline.

Replaced the center link and had an alignment.

Half shafts replaced approx 1 year ago.

Had the tires balanced more than once just in case.

Wheel bearings were replaced a while ago.

I put the rear on jack stands to possible see if there was a bent axle. Looked fine. While I was there I looked at the driveline, looked fine.

Not much left in the drive train that hasn't been replaced or inspected...

Perhaps a slightly bent axle shaft that hits harmonics at that speed?

This is rather mystifying. Have you had others test drive the vehicle?

B

Does the vibration get worse under power and less off power? If so then you would still have a drive train issue. Even though the u joints are pretty new could still be bad. On my 442 growing up, I went thru 4 different set's to get a good match. Also as B said, you might have a slightly off drive line, put it on flat surface and roll test it, like a pool stick. If it wobbles, its bent. The redneck way I know, but at least you will know..

He said it did it with different rims/tires as well. :shrug:

you might have a slightly off drive line, put it on flat surface and roll test it, like a pool stick. If it wobbles, its bent. The redneck way I know, but at least you will know..

Nothing redneck about it, it is standard machinist inspection technique. I even have a small granite block in my garage for such purposes. Glass, the thicker the better, also works well whan laid on a reasonably flat surface.

B

It doesn't start till ~60mph. It is a manual transmission and I have shifted into 5th during the vibration and still felt it with the clutch in.

I did put the rear on jack stands and put it in 3rd gear and let it run. I looked to see if the rear wheels were moving. I did not see any movement. I did crawl under the truck and watch the drive line also. I didn't notice any movement. Maybe it wasn't spinning fast enough?

I have not taken the driveline in to have it balanced after I replaced the u joints. That should probably be my next thing to do.

Vibration doesn't change under power or off power. What has me stumped is it will start bad and then smooth out. Sometimes there will be a slight vibration and then it will get bad and then good.

I would think if there is anything that was worn out it would be a constant vibration.

good, just checking.

Didn't see if you answered already, sorry to keep asking but did you check the UCA bolts to the frame?

The ones that the shims go behind when doing an alignment? If so I just had another alignment done.

When did the vibration start? Was anything changed before you started noticing the vibration or has it always had it?

That's the question I have been asking myself. I can only assume that it has always been there? I had a squeak when I first got the Pathfinder. I attribute the squeak to the vibration that caused some spot welds to break. I don't know for sure if it was from the vibration because I know the drivers fender had been replaced at some point before I bought it. Did that fender bender cause the welds to break, I don't know.

I think the vibration got steadily worse until it is where it is now.

I don't have another set of tires to verify that is not the problem. I may have to head up to B's place and swap tires to see if that is causing the vibration.

I don't have another set of tires to verify that is not the problem. I may have to head up to B's place and swap tires to see if that is causing the vibration.

You are welcome to if need be...

B

• 1 month later...

So after changing the items that needed attention there was still a vibration. I had nothing left to look at. I decided to call the place where I got the tires. They have what they called a road force balance. It can tell if there is a bad tire or not. Sure enough one tire was bad. So my vibration is gone. It is so nice to have a smooth drive.

I'm glad it is fixed. It's one of those thing that drives you crazy because you know it shouldn't be doing that.

So I am waiting on the call for my new tire. Speaking of that I need to call them because I have not heard from them yet.