New Canoe

Rebelord

Well, picked up a new to me canoe, 14.5ft. The canoe itself is NOT new. It has been sitting in the back yard at my grandmothers since at least 1994. That was the last know time it 'may' have been used. Time frame of originally built? Early 80's? Maybe earlier.

So, its in dire need of a scrub. Needs new paint and does have some cracking on the support ribs in the center. So, either I have to school myself on fiberglass repair. Get someone to help me or pay up to have someone do it. I do need to find a few new parts. Needs new bow and stern deck plates. One is missing, on is damaged as fiberglass. Hopefully I can find some rubber or something ones.

I would also like to put in a center seat for my son. But that is down the road.

Here's a quick pic when I picked it up.

(Yes, I did have straps in front and rear. Mad ninja photo skillz hid them)

IMG_20140227_174232877.jpg

• Like 2

I've got two of those in my yard! Thought I was gonna do a little fiberglass repair it'll be cheep and easy I said to the wife......they are still sitting there. you can have em if you want em. I won't ship though you'll have to come and get em.

• Like 2

I like how your canoe starts where your snorkel ends.

Fiberglassing is pretty simple. Resin, hardner, cloth maybe some matt. Oh and acetone for clean up. I've the same canoe for 36 years now and still like to get out in it when I've got someone to help pick it up. 16' fiberglass that weighs a ton. I got a new 10' plastic kayak a few years ago, only 46 pounds that'll slid in through the back window for the quick trips.

I've got two of those in my yard! Thought I was gonna do a little fiberglass repair it'll be cheep and easy I said to the wife......they are still sitting there. you can have em if you want em. I won't ship though you'll have to come and get em.

You won't ship a canoe...that's funny!

We've been cleaning it up for the past few days. Probably needs another soaking of Simple Green and scrub. Then I'll post updated pictures. So far its looking good. As for as weight. Its not that heavy. I can solo move it around. My wife can pick it up and help load it up on the truck with no problems. She does want to paint it. I was thinking instead of regular paint, possibly using PlastiDip? What do you guys think?