New here. New owner. Xterra tranny swap question.

v8_ranch

Greetings all!

I am about to pick up a 95 PF I picked up for the right price. It is an SE 2WD model with dark grey leather. The thing runs and drives GREAT... as long as you are going forward. It has not had reverse for 2 years the guy said, but he has driven it, just compensating where he parks due to no reverse. I had read up about this issue before agreeing to the purchase, so know what I am going into. My question is for some clarity. If I am reading correctly, a 2003 Xterra 2WD AT will bolt up directly with no mods needed in any way. I found one for $450 very low mileage. I can get it installed for about $350 plus my old tranny. Seems like the right way to go on this, but just wondering if someone could clarify that these ARE direct bolt-in replacements for the PF trannies?

I will post some pics once I have it at the house.

On another note, I am going to be in need of a new driver front seat if anyone knows where I might find one. I might want to replace both front seats, but have not decided yet. The pax seat is not torn but dry.

Shane

In theory, it should work as even the 2WD use a RE4R01A. I wouldn't try to put a 4wd trans in a 2wd truck or visa-versa but both the Pathfinder and the Xterra being 2WD models, it should bolt and plug in.

On a side note, you got a 1995 SE-V6 with leather and 2WD? I bet it's the only one! lol.

Aside from the bolts and bits lining up, measure the lengths of your old vs "new" transmissions. It's possible it will actually bolt up just fine, but if longer or shorter than your original, the driveshaft will be too long/short (as the case may be).

In theory, it should work as even the 2WD use a RE4R01A. I wouldn't try to put a 4wd trans in a 2wd truck or visa-versa but both the Pathfinder and the Xterra being 2WD models, it should bolt and plug in.

On a side note, you got a 1995 SE-V6 with leather and 2WD? I bet it's the only one! lol.

Hmmm, guess I better make sure. I am picking it up tomorrow so I can settle it out then I guess. I do know it is 2WD and definitely has leather.

• 1 month later...

so i could swap an xterra 4wd 5 speed transmission into my 1993 4x4 5 speed nissan pathfinder

Possibly, but I don't think it's been done or there just isn't any benefit from hunting one down. Whereas with the automatics, they made them strong so they live longer.

IIRC the only change in the transmissions was that they put the fill hole a little higher so you don't have to add oil through the shifter hole. Ratios might be slightly different too, I don't know. I imagine it would bolt up just fine.

Possibly, but I don't think it's been done or there just isn't any benefit from hunting one down. Whereas with the automatics, they made them strong so they live longer.

up here in nh its salt stricken junk yards. there is no wd21s in the yard but a crap ton of xterras though! would be cool if i could just do a direct swap of the transmission