Help!/recommendation for a stripped bolt

Mr. Pickles

I'm almost to the promised land in the install of my body lift, but the rear body mount bold on the driver's side is siezed up. In trying to get it off, I broke a ratchet (no, not a Craftsman!) and also had the socket slip off and round the corners on the head of the bolt. I was wondering first off if anybody has tried one the of those Craftsman bolt remover things Bob Vila is always hawking on commercials, that has the teeth to grab the bolt. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy one anyways tonight while I'm out, then decided whether or not to use it tomorrow. After that, who knows. Heat, chisel, maybe I'll drill the sucker out, but that's a seriously big bolt. Any ideas? Its soaked for several hours in PB Blaster at this point.

Vice grips work great, and if that buggers it up even more, I've had great results with pounding the next size smaller 12 sided socket on, then using that. It has to be 12 sided, or it will never work, but by poundin it on, the 12 sides act like teeth and grab the bugger. I have done this a few times succesfully. Good luck.

M.M.

Well, its already screwed up and I have to pound on the normal size (14mm) just to get it on. I picked up a set of the Craftsman extractor things at Sears, as well as an 18" breaker bar from the Harbor Freight store, so we'll see. Vice grips are not happening, cause its in a sort of a channel next to the frame and above the tail pipe. I pulled my reciever hitch already to make more room, and I'm gonna give it a shot in the morning. If it doesn't work, I'll pull the bolt on the other side to check for length. If it isn't too long, I'm gonna have an excuse to try out my new toy, a Makita angle grinder, and throw on a cut off wheel. Hopefully I could cut the head off and drill it out if all else fails. We'll see... P...

Hey Mr P !! There are special sockets you can buy for stripped bolts (I believe crapsman makes some) that you pound on like what MM said, but they work better. If you go that route, rig a jack or something to hold the breaker bar/socket firmly in place, then use another jack or come-a-long to torque the handle. You basically only have 1 shot, so get all body parts clear and start jacking/cranking until something gives... Hopefully it will be the bolt breaking free, if not then you will probably have to drill it out, which is a PITA. Don't even bother with easyouts on this one. Also, try firmly striking the bolt head a few times. This 'ringing' technique can often loosen the corrosion on the threads.

You are following the "righty tighty-Lefty loosey" rule, aren't you ? :P

Good luck !

Bernard

Precise, that's what I was talking about and what I bought. I'm back to update that, yes, those things are great. They have teeth that spiral upward in the direction of turning for extraction, so basically as you torque on it, the extractor digs itself in for a tight grip. Too tight, actually... :D

Which brings me to where I'm at now. I used the breaker and a 3' long, 1" diameter iron pipe slipped over as a cheater. The extractor dug in, and Cranked it about a quarter turn and *ping* off came the head. So its on to phase 2 of trying to drill it out or something. This would be much easier if the body was off. At least I don't have to worry about cutting or chiseling the head off! P...

post-9-1107119045.jpg

LOL, Mr P... Thats exactly what I was talking about (didn't understand your description), and thats exactly what I hoped wouldn't happen !! Tell me you whacked it a few times first though. A good trick for drilling straight holes is to drill a slightly larger hole (no more than 1/16") in a metal block, and use that as the guide/pilot bushing for the hand drill. Works very well, especially if you can C clamp it in place... Good luck Bud !!

Bernard

Punch it upwards, bro. Get under your carpet inside and pull it out that way. You don't need to drill anything.

You can't, its one of the ones that bolts from the bottom up into the body with no nut on the other end. A completely pain in the butt design, especially since the others like this are reluctant to start threading as well. The normal bolt/nut ones are a snap.

Well, hopefully I won't have to worry about it much. I should be able to limp her to a shop when I figure out the other B.S. There's a local guy that I've had work on my stuff before that should be able to take care of that mount. So I'm looking at finishing the lift other than that last mount, then taking it to him for surgery. I'll leave the interior mounts clear in case it needs to be jacked up. I'm ready for this thing to be done soon. ;)

WOW dude your wild ... Only thing that will get it out is to drill it tap it and use an extractor... I figured 88's method woiuld have worked also by hitting it up the otherside.. I hope mine are not like this.... Im going to look under both sides tomorrow cause i really just want to grind the heads off and let them drop out [possibly a bit of bashing but they should just in theroy drop out!!!]

WOW dude your wild ... Only thing that will get it out is to drill it tap it and use an extractor... I figured 88's method woiuld have worked also by hitting it up the otherside.. I hope mine are not like this.... Im going to look under both sides tomorrow cause i really just want to grind the heads off and let them drop out [possibly a bit of bashing but they should just in theroy drop out!!!]

You're missing the point. 4 of them are simply bolts that screw up into the body, rather than having a nut on the other end. You cut the head off with a grinder, you have problems. And the broken one is the rear-most one on the driver's side. Its way up, tucked between the body and frame with the tail pipe crossing through right in the middle. No fun. Which is why I'm not screwing with it. -thnkboutit-