1994 SE Made in California?

AZJOE

How can I tell if my 1994 Pathfinder was made in California? I bought it in CA over 10 years ago, but bought a 50K engine from Japan and had it installed. I don't know if the EGR off the old engine was installed on this one, but I just got a check engine light and codes saying there are issues with EGR and Detonator Sensor. I figured the best thing is replace both, but there's a difference between CA or regular engines, and I need to know before I order parts. Anyone have any ideas how to check this out? Since it's a Jap engine, would it be safe to order the regular one?

I was recently having an issue with the car stalling when coming to a stop at lights or turns, and got good advise to change the Idle Air Control valve. Wahlaaa! It worked and runs great now, no more stalls. Then the check engine light comes on and the garage says it shows two different issues, EGR and Detonator Sensor. I could pay another $85 for diagnosis, but for a little more, just change both and not have to worry about either for the life expectancy of the truck (228,000 miles so far on body, about 60,000 on engine).

I'd appreciate any advise anyone could offer. Thanks!

PM me the Vin number I'll look it up and PM you the full specs

When I had my JDM engine swapped in I got the same check engine light same code, turns out the JDM engines do not have the exhaust temp sender installed, the harness connector is there but it has a cap in the plug, I had to remove the sensor from my old engine and put it in the new one, than the CEL went out, and no more codes.

The plug is on the dr. side of the engine, just below the intake manifold if i remember correctly

rau7ty.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

sensor should look like this:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=944830&cc=1211960

Detonation sensor? Never heard of that one and don't see a code for it in the factory service manual, which you can and should download from here for free, see this link:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/1994_Pathfinder/

WELCOME TO NPORA !!!

Edited by ahardb0dy

The VIN on the vehicle is JN8HD17Y2RW218772

This is the first time I ever had the check engine light come on. It was running crappy, stalling all the time, and I had the Idle air control replaced and now the runs great. But the light is on and it shows codes for both EGR and Detonation sensor.

PM me the Vin number I'll look it up and PM you the full specs

When I had my JDM engine swapped in I got the same check engine light same code, turns out the JDM engines do not have the exhaust temp sender installed, the harness connector is there but it has a cap in the plug, I had to remove the sensor from my old engine and put it in the new one, than the CEL went out, and no more codes.

The plug is on the dr. side of the engine, just below the intake manifold if i remember correctly

rau7ty.jpg

Here you go:

2i06azn.jpg

the model number decodes as follows, usually after the model number there is a number which would indicate a package, yours is an SE so it has the normal SE options but some trucks also have additional packages, example an SE can have the off road package ( like my 94) I guess yours only has the SE options:

WHLYD21DPKBV

W = WAGON
H = VG30 ENGINE
L = LEFT HAND DRIVE
Y = 4WD SHORT BODY
D21 - CAR MODEL
D = 4 DOOR
P = SE TYPE
K = 4 SPEED FLOOR SHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
B = EGI
V = CALIFORNIA

• Like 1

That's what they told me. Also called a knock sensor. Rock auto has them listed from $50 to $92.

sensor should look like this:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=944830&cc=1211960

Detonation sensor? Never heard of that one and don't see a code for it in the factory service manual, which you can and should download from here for free, see this link:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/1994_Pathfinder/

WELCOME TO NPORA !!!

What code are you getting for detonation sensor? Do not see that listed in the fsm, see below:

OK, Yes the Oxygen sensor will trigger a code, you should replace it anyway if you don;t know when it was replaced last.

2ai0v0h.jpg

You can order parts for the US model, they are the same engine wise, make sure the O2 sensor is plugged in before you order one, the plug is on the pass. side behind the battery.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Very impressive! So it's a CA car, but would you know if the engine I bought used from Japan would have come over with a EGR, or if it would have had the EGR swapped from the old engine? I reckon if it is all plumbed for a CA car, it's got to have a CA EGR valve installed in it. Right?

Here you go:

2i06azn.jpg

the model number decodes as follows, usually after the model number there is a number which would indicate a package, yours is an SE so it has the normal SE options but some trucks also have additional packages, example an SE can have the off road package ( like my 94) I guess yours only has the SE options:

WHLYD21DPKBV

W = WAGON
H = VG30 ENGINE
L = LEFT HAND DRIVE
Y = 4WD SHORT BODY
D21 - CAR MODEL
D = 4 DOOR
P = SE TYPE
K = 4 SPEED FLOOR SHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
B = EGI
V = CALIFORNIA

The JDM engine will have the EGR system, but it may not have the EGR temp sensor as I said, my JDM engine did not come with it, look in the area I posted when you can you will probably find a connector with a grey plug in it with no wires, basically it just fills the plug so nothing can get into it,

If someone swapped the engines for you, most likely they missed it as my mechanic did, The EGR temp sensor is screwed into the EGR valve,

this is the best I can do for you at the moment, I could take a pic of it tomorrow if you still can't find the plug:

1zwjip5.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

The O2 seonsor was just replaced. I know it has the temp sensor, becasue I had it replaced about a year ago. So. . . I take it I wouild be safe ordering parts for a CA vehicle then?

What code are you getting for detonation sensor? Do not see that listed in the fsm, see below:

OK, Yes the Oxygen sensor will trigger a code, you should replace it anyway if you don;t know when it was replaced last.

2ai0v0h.jpg

You can order parts for the US model, they are the same engine wise, make sure the O2 sensor is plugged in before you order one, the plug is on the pass. side behind the battery.

I just went out and took some pics of the EGR temp sensor, make sure this is the temp sensor that was replaced, and not one of the 2 temp sensors for the water temp, pics below:

first pic shows the EGR temp sensor screwed into the bottom of the EGR valve, you can see the black wire coming out of it:

2h51hli.jpg

second picture shows the grey plug where it plugs in:

v7rqxl.jpg

I would ignore the knock sensor until you have the EGR sorted. That code (at least from what I've seen) tends to crop up with, and go away with, other codes, probably because other problems that throw codes screw up the air/fuel mix and lead to knocking.

• Like 1

I would ignore the knock sensor until you have the EGR sorted. That code (at least from what I've seen) tends to crop up with, and go away with, other codes, probably because other problems that throw codes screw up the air/fuel mix and lead to knocking.

Great, that will save me a little money not buying the knock sensor. And it was the water temp sensor that was replaced, not a temp sensor for the EGR. I'll check out the EGR when I get home tonight. If it has one, then I want to order a EGR valve and the sensor for it for a CA engine, is what I think you are saying. Then I will try that and see if it gets rid of the check engine light. Thanks for all your help.

There is no CA or other area engine , only the catalytic converter is different for CA (and NY I guess now), but that would apply to a replacement one. Just if you go on rockauto pull up US models, and your year and pathfinder,

If the engine was just replaced with a JDM engine, you may not have the EGR temp sensor as I said and that is why you are getting the code for it.

Edited by ahardb0dy

if your egr temp sensor is there. It may not be defective. What tends to happen is the passage that routes the exhaust gas to the sensor gets gummed up with carbon and does not heat the sensor. That is what happened to mine, All I needed to do was clean out that passage of the carbon build up and then the light went off.

BTW if they did not swap the sensor when you got the replacement engine in and you still have the California ECU then your light would have came on as soon as the replacement engine was installed.

More info.

the egr is controlled by a little electric vacuum switch. Make sure that the vacuum lines did not come disconnected or cracked. this will also cause your Egr not to engage. Egr valve will generally seize and not move if they are bad, I have seen the diaphragm crack as well this could also be the issue.

Hope this helps

Edited by msavides

I just went out and took some pics of the EGR temp sensor, make sure this is the temp sensor that was replaced, and not one of the 2 temp sensors for the water temp, pics below:

first pic shows the EGR temp sensor screwed into the bottom of the EGR valve, you can see the black wire coming out of it:

2h51hli.jpg

second picture shows the grey plug where it plugs in:

v7rqxl.jpg

I am not seeing anything coming out of the EGR on my truck. No black wire, and I dont' feel anything either. I also don't see a grey plug like on your pic here either. I see where it should plug in on the valve cover, but no plug. based on that, any idea which EGR I should order from Rock Auto? I'm guessing non-california EGR. And no point in ordering a EGR temp sensor, since I don't have one.

You may not see the EGR temp sensor (or a black wire) and that is why you are getting the code. Do you see a plug on the bottom of your EGR where the sensor would go? The plug may be tucked up away and not where mine is shown, I think mine was tied up out of the way but the plug was in the general area.

I felt the bottom of the EGR and feel nothing. No wire, no plug, it's just smooth. I don't know what the mechanic did when he swapped engines, but that was about 4 years ago and this is the first time I saw a check engine light. Actually, it did come on once before, but that was a mass airflow sensor conector that was loose. No problem with that presently.

So I'm not sure what's up, and what to order. The gas mileage is also bad. I used to get 26 MPG, now it's like 17 or so and I smell strong gas, but am not seeing black smoke out the exhaust. Nor any leaks.

Would it help if I took some pics of my EGR and posted here?

26 MPG is very high, 17 is normal so I've been told, I just figured out the MPG in my 94 and got 16.3 and 16.49.

What part did you feel? The rusty part in my pic or the silver part where the sensor is? Pics are always good if you can take them.

I was feeling the rusty part. I better go back and look again, I think I see now where you are talking about. It's sort of behind the EGR, screwed into the same aluminum part the EGR bolts to, and hovering right over the valve cover, right? Will check it out after work tonight.

I drive HWY miles, and always got 24 to 26 MPG in the past. I put around 100,000 miles (total 200,000) on the old engine before an idiot drove it a considerable distance after the radiator tank blew on it. That was why I decided to swap out the engine. It was so hot the fire department was called out and it woudln't start for 3 hours! Anyway, I've been told the EGR will casue poor gas mileage, so I'm looking forward to replaceing the EGR and checking it again. I just had the IAC replaced and it idles very nice now. Can't wait to get it fixed and try it out.

Thanks again for all your help, I really apprecaite it!

sounds good, let us know what you discover

Ok, the sensor is there. I can barley touch it, but definately see the black wire.

It seems to me considering the age of my truck, the wise thing is to replace both EGR and sensor. If both aren't bad at the moment, chances are it will act up in the near future. So that is my plan. I don't know what the difference is, but the CA EGR cost $15 more, so we determined that I have a CA truck, I will order that model and see what happens once installed. Thanks for all your help!

Where do you see the EGR valve that it says for CA? I looked earlier on rockauto.com and the only difference I see between the 2 they have is one says for automatic trans the other for manual trans?

105qj45.jpg

I tried to copy and paste the rock auto list for a 94, but it wouldn't allow me. Maybe it's because you're looking at a 95? There are CA EGRs listed for a 94, manual or auto.